Collecting B-Grade Spinning Reels

Started by mo65, April 20, 2019, 06:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Those are some really sharp looking Zebcos, Mo.

I'm liking these B-grades.  Got a deal on this Pflueger.  1 buck plus shipping. Probably from the early 1980s.  It should be here this weekend.

Crow

You got the deal of the year on that one !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

festus

Here's another B-grade spinner I'd been looking searching for months to find.  Heddon 230.  It's running very smoothly as it arrived, but I'll tear it apart and do a thread on it in a day or two.  Also have a couple more Heddon spinners on the way.

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: festus on July 05, 2019, 09:26:55 PM
Here's another B-grade spinner I'd been looking searching for months to find.  Heddon 230.  It's running very smoothly as it arrived, but I'll tear it apart and do a thread on it in a day or two.  Also have a couple more Heddon spinners on the way.
I have the Roddy version of this reel. Be careful when disassembling the reel because the ball bearings will go everywhere! Take it apart over a plastic tub with a cloth at the bottom to keep them from bouncing all over the house  ;D

mo65

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on July 05, 2019, 11:10:39 PM
Be careful when disassembling the reel because the ball bearings will go everywhere!

Yep...heard about this one! I still want one though...I'll be looking forward to seeing the inner workings of that one Chester. Great buy on the Pflueger too! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on July 05, 2019, 11:10:39 PM
Quote from: festus on July 05, 2019, 09:26:55 PM
Here's another B-grade spinner I'd been looking searching for months to find.  Heddon 230.  It's running very smoothly as it arrived, but I'll tear it apart and do a thread on it in a day or two.  Also have a couple more Heddon spinners on the way.
I have the Roddy version of this reel. Be careful when disassembling the reel because the ball bearings will go everywhere! Take it apart over a plastic tub with a cloth at the bottom to keep them from bouncing all over the house  ;D
Yes Kevin, you warned us about those loose ball bearings a while back so I was prepared.  Getting all those washers and bearing covers back in the correct order is my main concern.  There are quite a few parts making up the two assemblies. BTW, I saw one of the Roddy versions of this reel on ebay go unsold an hour or so ago.  Could have been gotten for $4.99 plus $9.95 shipping. I would probably got it had shipping been 5 bucks or so.

mo65

I'm on the fence Chester...I don't know if that reel is a second string player or not. It has a brass main, a brass worm drive pinion with ball bearings, and an aluminum spool. Mechanically, it qualifies for the first round draft! :D

happyhooker

The "trailers" on the Medalist & Heddon have got me waiting for more!

Frank

Gfish

Both the Metalist and the Heddon 230(Roddy) look like pretty tough reels.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crow

I just "won" a Heddon 230 on ebay....so your write ups will come in handy!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Alto Mare

Excellent thread!...keep up the great work guys, so we could all enjoy it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

This little honey of a "B" is very similar to the 7250 HRLA I posted at the beginning of this thread. Not the type of ultralight I'd go wrestling big smallies or hybrids with, but more than capable of the light use it was designed for.
   My brother picked this one up for $10 and it was stiff as a poker. The handle, the bail, and even the spool all felt like they had glue spilled on them. He thought he'd been jipped...but I assured him we had a better than average chance of making her like new...as long as no major parts were broken.
   It didn't take long to find the source of the stiffness. Layers of brown, blue, and white grease had reacted to each other in a bad way leaving everything sticky as honey. A thorough servicing down to the tiniest screw was all she needed. With the bail spring clean it snapped shut like a champ. With that sticky goo off the spool shaft and spool sleeve the drag worked again. Oh yeah...the handle turns better too. 8)

Crow

happyhooker

Midway Tommy

Amazing what a little TLC can accomplish, Well done, Mike!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)