Collecting B-Grade Spinning Reels

Started by mo65, April 20, 2019, 06:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

One more Heddon here, the 210-R.  These aren't very common, one of those in-betweener sizes, too big for b@$$ fishing and too small for big catfish.

Crow

You have "corrupted " me, Festus ! ;) These things just keep following me home !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Crow on October 30, 2019, 07:09:42 PM
You have "corrupted " me, Festus ! ;) These things just keep following me home !!

Those things are awful close together! They may start breeding!  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Crow

I'll bet that's what's happening  ;)!! I *surely* couldn't have had ALL of them follow me home  ::)!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

That's a full stable Crow...you guys have Heddon fever! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

l don't have any spincasters, Crow, but in total, you have about the same amount of Heddons overall as me. 

Only really want one more Heddon -- a Spinmatic -- preferrably the 280.....then l can concentrate more on the Daiwa B-grades.  Got a Daiwa 1000C on the way.

philaroman

you could just get the Daiwa Spinmatic...  but I guess it doesn't work that way

mo65

Quote from: festus on October 30, 2019, 10:44:21 PM
Only really want one more Heddon -- a Spinmatic -- preferrably the 280.....then l can concentrate more on the Daiwa B-grades.  Got a Daiwa 1000C on the way.

Quote from: philaroman on October 31, 2019, 02:39:50 AM
you could just get the Daiwa Spinmatic...  but I guess it doesn't work that way

So many reels...so little time...8)

Here's a rare photo of both A and B reels living in harmony, but note the As took the top shelf, hmm...:D.

Crow

Nice display, Mo :o!!

All three of those spin casters are "incompletes", Festus....missing bits and chunks. In fact, there are only 3-4 of the reels pictured that are 'complete"....there are some "extra parts" in the box....spools, and such, mostly.....so I should have some fun working on the "puzzle"!!

Crow

I should have added that there were a couple Daiwa reels, and a few "other brands", in the "deal", also......I bought a "large" box of somebody else's junk !! :D . I counted 34 "reels" (if the "frame" is there, I counted it as a reel ???), and a coffee can full of extra spools, handles , and such...in the box. Shipping was more than the cost of the reels, but, counting "everything"....it figures out to about $2.30 per reel :P.  Cheap fun !!

Midway Tommy

Nice group, Mike!

QuoteI should have some fun working on the "puzzle"!!

Good luck, Crow!  ::) I hate puzzles!  :D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Quote from: Crow on October 31, 2019, 02:34:49 PM
Counting "everything"....it figures out to about $2.30 per reel :P.  Cheap fun !!

Only $2.30 per reel...for all the fun you'll have sifting through that box...cheap fun indeed!

mo65

Working in the "B Hive" again today kids...this Daiwa B-250 has all the earmarks of a B-Grade piece. The assembly of shims and spacers around the bearing look like an attempt to use up existing parts. The drags are those tiny washers associated with a spool that rides directly on the shaft...no spool sleeve. It also has the familiar external bail trip. These A, B, and C model Daiwas all feel about the same to me...whether they have ball bearings, bronze bearings, or no bearings. I think the gear and it's support materials(or lack thereof) have a lot to do with the feel also, especially when a lesser quality ball bearing is used, as is the case with many of these reels. Although none of the three lines are my top choice for a spinning reel, they are all a decent value at current prices. 8)

festus

Quote from: mo65 on November 19, 2019, 04:10:41 PM
   Working in the "B Hive" again today kids...this Daiwa B-250 has all the earmarks of a B-Grade piece. The assembly of shims and spacers around the bearing look like an attempt to use up existing parts. The drags are those tiny washers associated with a spool that rides directly on the shaft...no spool sleeve. It also has the familiar external bail trip. These A, B, and C model Daiwas all feel about the same to me...whether they have ball bearings, bronze bearings, or no bearings. I think the gear and it's support materials(or lack thereof) have a lot to do with the feel also, especially when a lesser quality ball bearing is used, as is the case with many of these reels. Although none of the three lines are my top choice for a spinning reel, they are all a decent value at current prices. 8)
I agree about the same feel in these Daiwa A,B, and C models, Mo, except for the little 1000C.  My 1000C is as smooth as any other brand I've ever owned.  If you can get your hands on a good one, you'll probably agree.  If the gears weren't built with the cheaper metal, I'd give it an A.

Hmm, that B-250 is built much better than the B-130, no comparison.  Thanks for the look inside.

BTW, I have a Daiwa SS-1 on the way, probably considered a B grade.

mo65

Quote from: festus on November 19, 2019, 05:08:16 PM
I agree about the same feel in these Daiwa A,B, and C models, Mo, except for the little 1000C.  My 1000C is as smooth as any other brand I've ever owned.  If you can get your hands on a good one, you'll probably agree.  If the gears weren't built with the cheaper metal, I'd give it an A.

Thanks for the tip about the 1000c Chester, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a deal on one. I've been researching the Daiwa X models also...they seem to have more features I like in a spinner.(internal bail trip, spool sleeve, larger drags) I must be sick in the head...I enjoy studying schematics as much as restoring the reels! :P