Collecting B-Grade Spinning Reels

Started by mo65, April 20, 2019, 06:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Lunker Larry on February 01, 2020, 04:21:45 PM
I've had this one for who knows how long. Been a workhorse and still works great. Any idea what year this would be?
Shakespeare 2230 II

Early '70s.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Lunker Larry

You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

mo65

Here's another find from the local auction house. This Pflueger 429 is a large reel, about the same size as a Quick 270. It's a typical "B" type build...some good features...some not so good. The bail was busted, and the drag click wasn't working. Most interesting is the ball bearing, it has a nylon outer race and a soft clear plastic ball retainer. The inner race is steel...as are the balls. This reel was well worn, and that bearing is undamaged and very smooth, so I'm not going to laugh at it just yet.
  In the first pic the red circled area indicates the click spring was merely popped off it's post. The blue arrow points to the sharp nub left behind on the pick up arm after that bail busted. The second photo shows how a Dremel tool can smooth that problem out. I like a bailess spinner. Third we have the parts all ready to reassemble...check out that bearing! The last photo is the reel after servicing. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

festus

Good find on the Pflueger, Mo.  I've seen that series on the auction but had no idea what the innards are like.

xjchad

Cool reel Mo!
That bearing is very interesting, I'm surprised it's held up so well!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

DougK

Quote from: steelfish on January 03, 2020, 02:27:09 AM
I also saw "someone" installing a "reelseat plate" on the cork foregrip and use it like that (without taking the fly reelseat out), seems like a pretty lazy job but the rod looked like a Double purpose rod after that or just go "Mcgyver" and use some "zip ties" to attach the spinning reel  ;D

for my lazy job, I went with the self-adhesive rubber tape ;-)

I like the rod well enough to do something a bit better, don't plan to use this as a fly rod again. It's the Fenwick SF70, a good spinning rod but only so-so as a fly rod..

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: mo65 on February 18, 2020, 03:50:59 PM
Most interesting is the ball bearing, it has a nylon outer race and a soft clear plastic ball retainer. The inner race is steel...as are the balls. This reel was well worn, and that bearing is undamaged and very smooth, so I'm not going to laugh at it just yet.
I've seen a similar type of bearing (but the inner race is nylon too) used on some of the later model Shakespeare 2062's with the newer style handles. The ones I've had with the older style handles had all metal bearings. I just happen to have one apart at the moment so here are a couple of pictures:

Lingwendil

I'm going to keep an eye out for an older metal bodied spinner like one of these to put on a light duty rig for catching bait now, you guys are terrible.  ;D
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

mo65

If the name alone determined how tough a reel was, this one would be a world champion, what a cool moniker. On the outside this one looks like just another average 70s Japanese reel, but it has some interesting things going on under the hood. Popping off the non-handle side inspection plate doesn't reveal much...makes me wonder why it's even on there. Maybe for lubing the pinion and spool shaft? That is about all you see from this end.
   Moving along to the other side, the second pic shows the interesting parts. Check out how that pinion rides on a machined pin rather than simply slipping into a port on the body. The pinion bearing is a big beefy item like you'd find in an early Dam Quick reel. The AR dog has to be the largest I've ever seen in a spinning reel. The drive gear is the common 70s Japanese pot metal, but it does have a stainless steel shaft.
   The third photo is all the parts after cleaning. No plastic here...only the drag knob and the handle knob...just the way I like it. Been a while since I saw felt drags, and they cleaned up so well I decided to leave them alone. If I were going to fish the reel I'd re-oil them.
   The last shot is the reel all buttoned up. Every function operates like it should. The handle turns smoothly. The bail snaps easily and fast. This reel has the kind of tight tolerances you'd normally see in more respected reels...I'll have to rate this B-grader near the top of B mountain. It looks like another one of Omori's offerings, and like most of those, is a real bargain. 8)

happyhooker

Wow, a lot of stuff going on with that Fury Diamond,  That AR looks as tough as any.  BB, well supported pinion, lots of metal.  Glad you posted on this, Mo.

Frank

Gfish

X2. Could only see maybe 1 part for the ossilation system, though. It looks so well made, I'd like to know how that sys. works/looks.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on April 25, 2020, 07:02:06 AM
X2. Could only see maybe 1 part for the ossilation system, though. It looks so well made, I'd like to know how that sys. works/looks.

Let me see if I can explain the oscillation system G. It's actually pretty basic, but all the components are metal and fitment tolerances are great. In the photo below you'll see the oscillation arm screw circled in blue. The corresponding blue arrow shows where the screw and arm attach. That screw is left hand thread. The opposite end of the arm connects to the oscillation block at the red arrow by the c-clip circled in red. The small screw circled in green attaches the block to the spool shaft where the green arrow indicates. 8)

Gfish

Cool, thanks. The o. sys. reminds me of a Zebco Cardinal et. al. worm gear type. So does the AR pawl. I'll bet the weight on this great lookin B spinner is on the heavy side( almost always a good thing for me).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!