Collecting B-Grade Spinning Reels

Started by mo65, April 20, 2019, 06:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lingwendil

Well, that Sportfisher reel sure is a great little reel to fish! Installed it on a 7' medium Ugly Stik GX2, spooled it with 12# moss green big game mono, and both yesterday and today took it to our usual spot next to a local municipal boat launch. My son (he'll be four in a couple weeks) actually asked to use the setup both trips, so he was in charge. With the low gear ratio it actually worked perfectly for him. He was able to reel in the line each time without any help yesterday and today, and also caught his personal best fish- an 11.5" striped bass that fought surprisingly hard for its size, couldn't weigh it but it was around a pound or just under.

Also caught a similar sized fish on my Pflueger Summit this trip, man, watching that handle spin as the fish makes a run is a rush that I never knew I wanted! Direct drive sure is a neat way to fish and will definitely be something I do often now.
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oc1

Perfect.  That's what it's all about.
-steve

Midway Tommy

Well done! Getting kids started young is where it's at!  8)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Lingwendil

Crawling out from under a rock

Hey guys! A while back I got a few nice reels in a care package from Xjchad (thanks again!) when we worked out a trade on that old Harnell rod. One of them is a Garcia GK10. I pulled it apart and cleaned it up a while back and just got around to getting the pictures up. It was very similar to that sportfisher and compac internally, with some differences.

Looks to be in typical "on a shelf in a garage for a loooong time" condition. Rotates smoothly.

Made in Taiwan-

At least it's all metal inside :)

Simple drag with a single cork/rubber washer.

Cleaned up very nice and it so happened that I had a worn but usable Garcia Conolon 2121 ultralight rod that was a perfect match for it. I spooled it with some 6# Maxima Ultragreen and we've been using it to catch tiny stripers at our spot with some #14 hooks :)
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

Crow

Nice clean-up ! Glad you are using it....they were all made to fish .
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

happyhooker

Nice looking GK 10.  Another candidate for the landfill denied entry.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Nice cleanup & transformation! That should provide you with some good action.  8)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

mo65

dougrm3

Thank you for posting the breakdown and the pictures.  I have a Diamond Fury that is in rough shape.  Was wondering how to remove the Pinion gear and bearings?  Does it just tap out and through towards the front after removing the bearing cover? Didn't want to force it.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: dougrm3 on July 29, 2020, 05:29:53 PM
Thank you for posting the breakdown and the pictures.  I have a Diamond Fury that is in rough shape.  Was wondering how to remove the Pinion gear and bearings?  Does it just tap out and through towards the front after removing the bearing cover? Didn't want to force it.

Yes. You may have to coax it a little if the grease has hardened. You can pry between the brass gear and partition in the body. The bearing may need a little coaxing, too, but it will come off the pinion. Soak it in some solvent like lacquer thinner or acetone if the bearing is stuck.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

mo65

Quote from: dougrm3 on July 29, 2020, 05:29:53 PM
 I have a Diamond Fury that is in rough shape.  Was wondering how to remove the Pinion gear and bearings.

I opened up a Diamond Fury on this thread...a few pages back...maybe the photos might help you as you work on yours. Tommy is correct...soaking in a little solvent or WD-40 should loosen her right up. 8)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/C60A-10005-Abu-Garcia-Maintenance-Kit-with-Silicote-Reel-Oil-with-Syncolon-PTFE/402032881027?hash=item5d9b06ed83:g:8DUAAOSwhbZeGPq6

dougrm3

Thank you for your reply. I will give it a shot with w-d.  Wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing a retainer. 

mo65

I decided to give my DAM Quick Microlite a little rest from duty, and try fishing this ol' Fury Diamond 250. Many of these reels from the 70s-80s were labeled "junk" at that time...hilarious...as comparing them to "quality" modern reels reveals a shocking truth. Yesterday's junk wasn't so bad after all! 8)