Unauthorized South Bend Vintage Parts — West Coast Distributor

Started by foakes, April 20, 2019, 06:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Thanks to a tip from Tommy —

If anyone needs any South Bend Spinner Parts — here they are...

26 pounds of New Old Stock South Bend Parts.

I will be unlikely to use more than a couple of these parts in the next 10 years — hope others can use them.

There are tens of thousands of parts here.

In bearings alone — there are over 300 still sealed in oil wax paper, just like firearms.  Hopefully, I can use these bearings for other reels — but I doubt it.  Maybe some of the other parts can also be used in other reels.

Washers, drags, screws, trip levers, nuts, A/R's, springs, spool shafts, badges, and much, much more...

As a great Easter surprise — there was a brand new, complete dealer repair kit for DAM Quick 550's tucked into one of the large flat rate boxes!!😮😮😮

If you know what you need — send me a photo with measurements — because I have no other way to match them up.

Best,

Fred

———————————————

Hey Bryan —

Can we set up a category under spinners for South Bend?

Also, can we move Cardinal and Mitchell into their own categories — instead of under "Child Boards".

Thanks!  — Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

mo65

That is fantastic Fred! I'm sure those parts will be needed. I bet those bearings are of a high quality. I'll have to check to see what I need, I have a feeling you'll have it. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Way to go, Fred.  I keep my eyes peeled for some of those upper crust South Bends, good to know a parts source is available.

oc1

You're amazing Fred.  Definitely the world's leading resource for obscure reel parts.
-steve

Dominick

Quote from: oc1 on April 20, 2019, 09:22:55 PM
You're amazing Fred.  Definitely the world's leading resource for obscure reel parts.
-steve

Yep!  Fred is terrific.  Fred, that Pflueger part you sent me was a perfect match.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Glad it fit, Dominick —

Those old jeweled caps on early baitcasters from the 30's — can be all different threads — inside, outside, double band, over — just never know.

Glad we got lucky on yours.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Quote from: foakes on April 21, 2019, 04:42:57 AM
Glad it fit, Dominick —

Those old jeweled caps on early baitcasters from the 30's — can be all different threads — inside, outside, double band, over — just never know.

Glad we got lucky on yours.

Best,

Fred

There's a fine line between luck and an educated guess.  The latter was what made it correct.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Midway Tommy

Good for you, Fred! I saw they sold and was hoping it was you that was able to grab them up.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Quote from: foakes on April 20, 2019, 06:16:40 PM

Hey Bryan —

Also, can we move Cardinal and Mitchell into their own categories — instead of under "Child Boards".

Thanks!  — Fred

We never did get this done guys. The "General Spinning Reel Questions"
category is beginning to look like a South Bend category! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Quote from: mo65 on July 14, 2019, 02:26:29 PM
Quote from: foakes on April 20, 2019, 06:16:40 PM

Hey Bryan —

Thanks!  — Fred

We never did get this done guys. The "General Spinning Reel Questions"
category is beginning to look like a South Bend category! 8)

Yes, I think this should be done — some spinners are getting a lot of coverage — others little or none.

I would recommend starting a group category "Vintage & Discontinued Manufacturer's Spinning Reels".

Then we could fold into this — some of the other lesser used categories such as Alcedo, Luxor, Ofmer, Olympic, Ryobi, and Zangi.

Cardinals, Mitchell's, and South Bend have plenty of interest to warrant their own categories.

Hopefully, we can do this — it just makes sense.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Midway Tommy

No one specific spinning reel make or model is going to get a huge amount of discussion. There are over 6000 separate reels listed in Ben Wright's 2011 book, most of which would be considered "vintage" in many circles. The majority of discussion here is going to focus on reels that are easy to obtain and easy on the pocket book, hence recent discussions regarding, SB, Heddon, Shakespeare, Daiwa, Roddy, etc. There won't be a lot of discussion on Italian or the many other European made reels because they're obscure, collectible and pricey, but there are people that collect and restore them so any information or tutorials regarding them should be organized for easy reference. The best way to set up an index would be to start by country or continent of origin with manufacturer model sub listings under them. All one has to do is look at the reel in question to see where it was made and then look under that location for the make, model or manufacturer. It would be a simple undertaking and much more efficient than the current helter-skelter breakdown we currently have.     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)