micro lathe

Started by oc1, April 20, 2019, 09:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Joe and Sal have shown us their new lathes in the last few days.  Both of theirs were significant investments which only highlight their dedication and obsession to the cause.

Since I do not embarrass easily, here's a picture of mine.  It just arrived yesterday. Obviously, not a significant investment, but it's as much machine as I can afford and as much machine as I am willing to maintain in this environment. 

It is made by Taig, a small business in Arizona that has been making them for about forty years..  There are others in this size range, notably Sherline and Emco Unimat.  From what I can read, Sherline is better than Taig, but Taig I better than Unimat.

There is no power feed, no threading capabilities, no carriage for the tail stock, much smaller motor and probably looser tolerances than a real lathe.  It only weighs about 35 pounds.  There are plenty of upgrades that can be purchased or made.  Some people seem to have made a hobby out of increasing it's capabilities.

It looks pretty rough, but everything seems to work as it should and it came with all the accessories I will need for now. 

Don't laugh.  This is going to be so much better then trying to turn metal with a hand drill.

-steve

Darin Crofton

What a cool machine, Steve, wish you lived close so I could watch you turn something out with it in person!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

54bullseye

Steve after seeing some of the stuff you make I am sure that little lathe will make some neat stuff !!  Very nice !!  John Taylor

Donnyboat

should be good Steve, if it needs improving on, that brain of yours will, jump into gear, know limmits there man, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oldmanjoe

:)  Don`t sell that lathe short , it`s a good little  machine .
  Remember  ,it`s not always the tool , it`s the person behind the tool......
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Reel 224

I have a micro lathe and mill also I have had for 40 years. If someone would like it make me an offer and I'll send it to them. It an Emco.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

Steve, i'm sure you'll put it to good use. Man made the lathe and not the other way around ;)

I used a mini lathe in the past, they are fun to use. I think I have pics by "my grouper special"

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Reel 224 on April 20, 2019, 11:55:03 PM
I have a micro lathe and mill also I have had for 40 years. If someone would like it make me an offer and I'll send it to them. It an Emco.

Joe

PM sent.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tiddlerbasher

Steve, I think you will be surprised by what you can achieve with that lathe.
Here's mine, a Wade CAV 1st generation, manufactured in the early 1920s and still going almost 100 yrs old :o.
It was 'donated' to me as a box of 'bits':

I cleaned it up and equipped it with an 36v e-bike motor with a pwm speed controller and tooth belt drive - quiet and smooth :).

Alto Mare

Chris, you have a mini on steroids ;D. That looks to be very capable.

nice lathe!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

oc1

That's beautiful with the heavy cast iron styling Chris.  I imagine you had to change out the pulley; right?  Adjusting speed with the stepped pulleys is a bit fiddly but what you have looks solid.  You usually start to loose me with your frequency modulation and electronics stuff.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

Steve, it's really easier than it sounds, honest ;).
Pulse width modulation (PWM) is a means of controlling a motor's speed without losing torque. The tooth belt and pulleys is a no slip drive reduction system. The rest is simple maths - what speed does the motor run at - what speed do you need - divide one by the other and you get the necessary ratio for the drive pulleys and belt. It ain't rocket science :)

reel man

I've got an Emco that is a combo lathe and mill that I think was made in Sweden and for it's size is really precision.

kmstorm64

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on April 21, 2019, 09:33:11 AM
Steve, I think you will be surprised by what you can achieve with that lathe.
Here's mine, a Wade CAV 1st generation, manufactured in the early 1920s and still going almost 100 yrs old :o.
It was 'donated' to me as a box of 'bits':

I cleaned it up and equipped it with an 36v e-bike motor with a pwm speed controller and tooth belt drive - quiet and smooth :).

Love it!  Wish I had some room for something like that!
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!