Old International 50

Started by handi2, April 21, 2019, 08:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Hello,

I have 2 first run International 50 reels with the amber colored handles. The pinion gear will not accept the newer Dura drag so it's staying stock.

These reels belong to my fathers boss. My dad is 85 and still working 7 days a week.

His boss wants to use them for our Tuna fishing. He wants all 80lb mono which I told him the reel will not hold enough line.

My friend Davy uses my Triangle HD 40 line winder all the time and is a whiz at splicing hollow core and mono. This is what I told him I recommend.

Here's my question;

How much 80lb mono will this reel hold?

Happy Resurrection Day!

God bless,

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Keith,
I suspect it would hold around 350yds of straight 80lb mono, which in my opinion, is too little.  There are some low diameter/stiffer 50/60class mono brands that actually break closer to 80lbs which you might want to consider.  You really want a minimum of 500yards.  I have upgraded a few of these first gen 50s to dura drag w/o having to change the pinion as is stated on Mystic, not sure why but I havn't ran into this problem.  I always used the previous version screw on CF drags with the older metal washer though. 

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

Thanks John,

I too have upgraded older 50's to Dura Drag but this one is too early. The pinion gear will not fit the new drag. I spooled one with 60lb and got 420 yards. I'm still swaying him to the braid/mono.

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

John I just checked at Mystic parts and it doesn't have the pinion gear warning on this reel as it does others. I bet I just did try hard enough. The teeth may have been roughed up on the end. Ill get in it tomorrow and find out for sure. I still have another same era 50 that hasn't been picked up and it went together fine with the Dura drag.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Quote from: handi2 on April 22, 2019, 12:30:20 AM
John I just checked at Mystic parts and it doesn't have the pinion gear warning on this reel as it does others. I bet I just did try hard enough. The teeth may have been roughed up on the end. Ill get in it tomorrow and find out for sure. I still have another same era 50 that hasn't been picked up and it went together fine with the Dura drag.

Its worth a try.  I do have a couple of NOS 50 pinions if you end up needing one.  I recall having enough minor marring on the stick aluminum plate to create problems here.  I used a thin triangular file to clean the inner teeth up a bit on the drag plate and that did the trick.  Looking at my left over parts bin, I must have upgraded 5 seperate 50 reels to CF.

GOOD LUCK!

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

These 2 first run reels have a pinion gear that won't fit the new Dura Drag plates. I tried again today to make sure. The teeth are different on these older reels.

The alarm clicker is just a button you lift and turn. No lever. The strike and full buttons are different also. Inside the reel it's uses leaf springs to keep the buttons pushed up.

Keith

Gulf Breeze, FL