Heddon 238

Started by festus, April 22, 2019, 09:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

This Heddon 238 arrived this morning, was less than 14 bucks shipped. It was functional, could have been fished in the condition upon arrival.

Only real flaw to speak of was a bent handle, but I had another Heddon to donate one the same length, but it's built differently.

The side plate was scuffed, not really concerned about it.

Inside was fairly clean, but needed serviced anyway.

One unthreaded pin secures the crosswind block to the axle.

These reels were built without a ball bearing or rotor nut, a big e-clip attaches rotor to the housing.  The pinion gear is built in as part of the rotor.

This is another one of these B-grade simply built reels with a minimum of parts.  The only plastic is the handle knob, drag knob and spool.  The ad at the bottom of this post says the reel has a metal spool, but this one doesn't.  No chenille pipe-cleaner type dust cover was present in it either.

As I mentioned above, it was pretty clean, this is the biggest gob of grease inside.

The anti-reverse assembly needed a good cleaning, so I took it apart.

The bail trip assembly was a little dirty, so I removed it also.

The dirty parts cleaned up fairly well.

I used Ardent Reel Butter Grease and Reel Butter Oil for lube.

These reels weigh 9.6 oz without line on my scales, capacity is 200 yds of 6 lb. mono.  I failed to get a picture, but it only has one metal keyed drag washer.  I had an old cheap Daiwa back in the early 1970s with a similar drag setup.  Also either one of my D-A-M Quick 270 or Finessas have a similar setup.  Surprisingly, the drag does function. A skilled angler could disengage the anti-reverse and back-reel fight a big fish to be on the safe side, I suppose.

Midway Tommy provided me an online link a while back of old Heddon catalogs.  Looking back, this reel could have possibly debuted in 1972. At least it wasn't in the 1971 catalog.    LOL, I was 19 years old then.  http://www.antiquefishinglures.com/1972heddon.htm

Dominick

Nice work Festus.  thanks for the look at the guts of that reel.  dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

festus

You're welcome, Dominick.

I have no idea what that coppery colored metal could be.  Maybe a plating?  I could have shined it with Brasso, I suppose, but didn't want to remove more metal than I had to.

mo65

Quote from: festus on April 22, 2019, 11:36:00 PM
I have no idea what that coppery colored metal could be.  Maybe a plating?  I could have shined it with Brasso, I suppose, but didn't want to remove more metal than I had to.

I think it is a plating, my 248 has a plating on the main also.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

happyhooker

Nice look at this reel.  There seems to be a scarcity of handy info on some of the Heddon spinning reels, so this post was definitely welcome.

Frank