Penn 14/0 & 9/0 Questions

Started by Crab Pot, April 23, 2019, 01:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

So I went down to San Louis Obispo to visit my daughter who goes to Cal Poly.

Before leaving I jumped on the SLO Craigslist page to see what I couldn't like without.

I found a guy selling the 9/0 which I wanted and he was willing to trade me for some nothing special boat rods and a Fenwick 604 full roller.

Long story short we meet up and he wants all the rods I have and produces the 14/0 as part of the deal which is full of 130 braid.

Didn't really want the 14/0 but it's just so damn cool that I had to have it. No idea what I'll do with it but it was quite a conversation piece in the hotel bar that evening.

I have no idea what it's worth but he included it in the deal so I was happy to take it. I've looked up the value to this reel and it's all over the place. Can anyone here give me a photo appraisal? 

Thanks,

Steve

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Crab Pot

More Pictures.

alantani

right now there are a dozen east coast guys that are drooling all over their keyboards.......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Maxed Out

The 14/0 is a $250-300 reel without any line.

The 9/0 is an earlier bushing model and is worth approx. $80-110
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crab Pot

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 23, 2019, 01:22:34 AM

The 14/0 is a $250-300 reel without any line.

The 9/0 is an earlier bushing model and is worth approx. $80-110

Thanks Maxed Out.

I know I'd never want to spool that big boy.

Donnyboat

Hi Steve, nice trading, it would pay to take the line of the 14/0, & see if there is any corroction, on the spool, & give the reel a good service while you at it, polish the chrome rings, it will come up great, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Crab Pot

Quote from: Donnyboat on April 23, 2019, 07:48:32 AM
Hi Steve, nice trading, it would pay to take the line of the 14/0, & see if there is any corroction, on the spool, & give the reel a good service while you at it, polish the chrome rings, it will come up great, cheers Don.

I thought about taking it over to Fishermans Warehouse and see if they have an empty plastic spool to take the line off.

It would be money well spent, that's a lot of line.

Tiddlerbasher

If you have a welding shop near you see if you can scrounge an empty plastic mig wire spool. Bolt, nut and appropriate washers. Tighten everything and fix it into a drill/power driver. They hold a lot of line. Hi-speed de-spooler ;) I keep one to fill with line to be binned

Crab Pot

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on April 24, 2019, 08:31:50 AM
If you have a welding shop near you see if you can scrounge an empty plastic mig wire spool. Bolt, nut and appropriate washers. Tighten everything and fix it into a drill/power driver. They hold a lot of line. Hi-speed de-spooler ;) I keep one to fill with line to be binned

Great tip!

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

1badf350

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on April 24, 2019, 08:31:50 AM
I like this idea. Im gonna see what I can scrounge up at work today
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Makule

Two comments:  1)  The line on the 14/0 looks like dacron and not braid;  2) Lots of fishing stores have empty spools that they throw away.  They might even wind the line off your reel for you.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

oc1

Gudebrod Dacron.... and lots of it.  The Fenwick rod may have been pretty special too.
-steve