an early neglected 180

Started by milne, April 24, 2019, 11:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milne

My mother always told me I should listen more often  ;D

Yes, I agree, That pinion is sure stuck so well, I probably would end up ruining the spool in the end, thank you Sal.
With my shelfies, I have been just cleaning them all up, not worrying about replacing drags or the like. But this 180, even the under gear washer was just a crumbling mess and the old drags came out in pieces.
So I will cut this old pinion off, and even tho I wont be ever using it, I'll put a new under gear washer and drag system in her, along with a new pinion and at least give this old charmer a new breath of life as it deserves.
It must have have been fished hard and then stored, and just left to corrode up for quite some time, shame really.
I have a few other different projects I'm doing along with these reels, where a dremel would come in so useful, been meaning to get one for some time. I like Fred's idea of using it to cut into the pinion, then with vice grips, to remove it.
Thank you Gentlemen, I have heard you loud and clear.....

Col

Ron Jones

This is my favorite size Penn. You might be surprised if you do decide to fish it. It is small enough to be fished anywhere.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

milne

Hi Ron,  Yes, I too luv these smaller reels as well.
I wont fish with this particular one, as it looks like a first "ish" year, and it's got that special reel handle that I would hate to wreck.

BUT,  I'm currently beefing up one of my 113h's which I'm waiting for the double dog and S/S sleeve to arrive, I will trick up one more 113h and then do a 114h, which will cover me for heavier fishing.
Then, I want to trick up some Penn smaller reels, with the aim to solely fish with them in our two local bays out of the boat. I'm starting with a Squidder, which I have ordered a Tiburon frame from Randy, then I will try and pick 3 or 4 other smaller Penn's, not needing to go to extreme lengths in tricking them out, for all my other fishing needs. I previously fished with 5000 Shimano Stradics, which I find to be a nice small egg beater that performs well and can handle anything the bay can throw at them.   I occasionally fish with a bloke, that fair gives it to me when I use the senators, he for the life of him, recons I'm fishing in the archives, ( but they have never let me down), So tricking up some smaller Penn's, could quite possibly send this bloke over the edge !   He ONLY uses Stella's, and now has every size they ever made,  I think there a great reel, albeit far to expensive, but because it fair irate's him, I feel the need to go the whole hog !. A 180 is on my list.

Col