Braid sizes for Penn mag 10 and 150

Started by wfjord, April 24, 2019, 05:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfjord

I'm going to switch to braid (PP) on a mag 10 and 150 Surfmaster.  I'm considering either 30 or 40 lb pp on the mag 10... and 40 or 50 lb on the 150 Surfmaster. 

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on the line tests for those reels.  And also the braid capacity for them in those line sizes.

alantani

not sure about the capacity, but my first concern would be the possibility that the braid could get caught in between the spool and side plate rings.  if you don't need the extreme line capacity, consider straight mono.  if you just need the zero stretch of braid, consider a braid "topshot." 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mo65

30 lb. braid is about the same diameter as 8 lb. mono...I can all but guarantee that will be trouble. Use 65-80 lb. braid, and since it's about the same diameter as 20 lb. mono the capacity will be about the same too. 8)

* Almost forgot...make sure your drag ain't buttoned down...that will be trouble too!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

alantani

MarkT

The Surfmaster came out before there was even mono so I don't like its chances with braid!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

Ron Jones

The 150 is 99 width, correct? If you could find a Newell spool it would help with the gap. That spool will hold 300 yards of 65# braid and all the floro topshot you could ever want.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

I have never had problems with 60/65.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

wfjord

Yes, you all are absolutely right!  I remember now reading somewhere on the forum about braid not working on those reels and for some reason completely forgot about it.  Major brain lapse (sorry!) ::).

I may stay with the dacron backing and mono topshot, or maybe change the mono to fluoro, but I'm going to look into the 65#.  The gaps on both reels are pretty small.  Thanks!

edit:
Will study up on the Newell spool, too.  The old surfmaster has a plastic spool and I was trying to keep it original just because I liked the looks of it, but will study further on that.

mo65

Quote from: wfjord on April 24, 2019, 10:04:07 PM
Yes, you all are absolutely right!  I remember now reading somewhere on the forum about braid not working on those reels and for some reason completely forgot about it. 

Can you remember why they said braid wouldn't work on those reels? I can't think of a single reason why it won't work if done properly.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Keta

Thin Spectra can get between the spool and frame.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

Large spectra shouldn't get between the spool and sideplate.... plus spectra doesn't stretch so you don't have to worry about a plastic spool spreading like you do with mono! Of course if you load it with spectra the line will be worth more than the reel!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

wfjord

Quote from: mo65 on April 25, 2019, 12:39:05 AM
Quote from: wfjord on April 24, 2019, 10:04:07 PM
Yes, you all are absolutely right!  I remember now reading somewhere on the forum about braid not working on those reels and for some reason completely forgot about it. 

Can you remember why they said braid wouldn't work on those reels? I can't think of a single reason why it won't work if done properly.

What Lee said: The 30 or 40# spectra I was thinking of using would get between the spool & frame. But, yes, thicker braid should work.

I rarely fish saltwater any more. Back when I lived near the salt 30+ years ago spectra and dyneema line weren't around. I used dacron and mono, mostly 10 to 20# on small to medium reels for inshore, with the heaviest being 50# on a 113h for special needs.

I'm slow to change my fishing system and it's only within the past couple years that I've gone to using 15 and 20# spectra on almost all of my freshwater baitcasters for bass and striper fishing. My brain is still not use to thinking in terms of 65# spectra on small conventionals like the mag 10 and 150 since I normally wouldn't need anything heavier than 20-30 lb test for what I'd be using them for.

I'm currently about 2 1/2 hours from the ocean and thinking about doing some occasional weekend surf fishing. Heavier braid would probably work just fine.  On the other hand I could simplify the whole idea and just carry my old spinfishers.

Swami805

I have a mag 10 filled with 50lb power pro and it's worked fine. My grandson uses it to for rockfish in 250-350' of water, worked fine so far.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

wfjord

Quote from: Swami805 on April 25, 2019, 04:57:15 AM
I have a mag 10 filled with 50lb power pro and it's worked fine. My grandson uses it to for rockfish in 250-350' of water, worked fine so far.

I think 50 lb pp will work well on the mag 10. The gaps between the spool & rings are so fine I could hardly get the very tip of a straight edge razor blade in it.

The gap on the 150 is not quite as tight as the 10, but still pretty darn small. If I put braid on it it'll be 65# and a topshot.

I rebuilt both those reels last year and am amazed at how super smooth they are.

Thanks all for your help!