1957 Langley Reel Ad

Started by mo65, April 24, 2019, 06:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

This should be something Langley fans can use, not much info out there on these reels. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Very interesting, thanks for the ad.

Those big Spinators were $37.95 retail at the time.  According to the inflation calculator it would cost $343.31 nowadays.  Would a brand new $343.31 reel bought off the shelf today be built as sturdy as the those you reckon?

oc1

Thank you Mike.  I have been trying to figure out how to date Langley baitcasters as they made minor styling changes.  That ad helps a lot.

The ad also reminds us that Langley made the Fishermn' De-Liar.  They sold a bazillion of those things and everybody had one.
-steve

Gfish

At some point in time Zebco musta bought 'em. I had a Zebco De-Liar back in the 70's.
Love the sales terminology from back then:"Super ____, Double-matic, Anti-inertia, Delux"....
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on April 24, 2019, 09:58:46 PM
At some point in time Zebco musta bought 'em. I had a Zebco De-Liar back in the 70's.
Love the sales terminology from back then:"Super ____, Double-matic, Anti-inertia, Delux"....

Yes...Zebco did buy Langley. Looks like we all had a De-liar scale!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

happyhooker

Nice piece of history & useful information.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Nice find, Mike!

Zebco bought Langley in 1962. Zebco only produced a few of the casting reel line for a short time. They're pretty hard to find. Both Langley and Zebco made spinning reels for Abercrombie and Fitch with the name Monogram. A&F models were 150-Three (basically the same as the 150), Yellowstone (same as the 777), 200-Six (same as the 830), 250-Ten (same as the 860) and 250-Fifteen (same as the 870). I've got the 150-Three & Yellowstone. The A&Fs had green writing on the side plates. They bring about twice as much as the same Langley and/or Zebco models.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

nagant

great find! A lot of garage sale tackle box's had those de liar's, also the deluxe description (cigarette pack sized).
Brice