Giant crawdad found in western Kentucky

Started by festus, April 24, 2019, 08:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Crow

We've got some pretty big ones, in some of the local sloughs....but that thing takes the cake !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Ron Jones

Don't ever think you KNOW anything.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Gfish

Wow!
I when I checked out the article I thought they might be talkin about discharge cooling water from a nuke-plant.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

festus

After further research, I found that the Green River system and the Barren River system and Shoal Creek near the KY/TN border is home to a unique species of giant crayfish that was discovered 7-8 years ago. Biggest I remember seeing was a big red crawdad I found walking to school back in the 1960s.  It was probably 6" long.  Definitely not he same species.  Makes me wonder how big the smallmouth bass who dine on those big daddys can get?  No doubt, crawdads are the favorite food for smallmouth.

1badf350

Festus I think that big boy dines on smallmouths. LOL
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Dominick

Wow!  Giant river roach.  The only thing bigger is New York roaches.  ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

conchydong

That guy is all head and no tail but if you "suck the head" before you "pinch the tail" you will already be full.

mo65

Gimmie 2 of those and a pound of butter! :D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

MarkT

There are hundreds of crayfish species in the US, more than anywhere else. I've caught some big ones in creeks in Southern Ohio that I worried could take off a finger if I wasn't careful. It wasn't anywhere that big!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Shark Hunter

Green River is contaminated with PCB's from Transformers buried underground. I spent a lot of time there. They try to keep it on the DL.
Life is Good!

Gobi King

Yikes, PCBs, hmm that explains the size of the crawdad.  :o

I was checking out fishing access on the Detroit river and they had a sign said park closed due to environmental pollution,
Looked up the news and it was ... PCBs

I hear the walleyes are over 8lbs this year!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

philaroman

absolute nonsense...  of all the F/W aquatic species, crayfish are among THE most sensitive to pollution: an abundant population w/ good size variety, is probably the best layman indicator that the fish are safe to eat...  on the other hand, if you encounter a major die-off (actual meat carcasses -- not, just empty molted shells), fish elsewhere & report a possible spill

Shark Hunter

You can call it nonsense if you wish.
I meant no disrespect.
I just know for a fact that Green River is Contaminated with PCB's.
The Green River goes for a long ways.
I only boated and camped there in Kentucky.
My boat was very fast and sleek. I covered every inch of that lake more than once.
There was always fish to be caught, but I saw the Hazardous Buoys and figured it out on my own.
I too doubt this Crawfish has anything to do with it, but I thought it should be addressed.
The transformers were buried a long time ago, but their toxins still leach into the water.
Once I found this out, My Family and I stopped going.
It is a big cover up.
That was 20 years ago.
Life is Good!

philaroman

gotcha...  significant side-note, unrelated to craw size

just sayin' it had to live in some very clean water for many years, to get anywhere near max. size

where the carcass ended up downstream, could be a very different environment