Collecting question

Started by Chuck750ss, April 24, 2019, 08:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck750ss

Whenever I have picked up a reel  in the past that had the original grease in it, I have cleaned and relubed with synthetic lube. I now have a couple of pristine Shakespeare's in the box. I will not be fishing these reels. Wallhangers for sure. Both reels operate , except for the Ar which I am sure is due to the stiff grease. So my question is, should I leave them "as is" or do the clean and new lube thing? Opinions please.

Crow

I'd say, if they were never fished....leave them "as new", but ,if they were fished, ....even a little ....they aren't "new", no matter how well they look, so, a good "servicing" shouldn't hurt the value, and, would *probably* help it.   It's really pretty hard to make a 'call' on something like that....reels are, IMHO, "to fish with", so it's hard for me to get a handle on value, as a "collectable".
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

handi2

Look closely at the screw heads. That will tell you if its been apart.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

happyhooker

Sooner or later, with older reels that retain the same lubes, those oils/grease will stiffen and the reel will not operate properly.  If it's for display, you might say "no issue"; also sooner or later, it's likely, maybe probable, that someone will try to operate the reel and then something may "give".  Then, what have you got?

Frank

foakes

I think Frank is right — only exception would be if you were reselling these reels immediately — then I would tell the new owner that the grease is hard and likely set up — then let him decide what he wants to do.

Beware of pristine reels that are 60 years old — and likely never broken into.

The grease of the day, after 60 years — will be nearly as hard as a rock — and will not soften up by using the reel.  And damage will occur because the grease has dried up and hardened in a location that will not touch the moving parts.

And worst case, by forcing the operation — at least one of two parts have a high probability of breaking.

And they are not easily obtainable.

So my opinion would be to carefully break open the reel with a proper screwdriver, take a look, get the old grease out, relube, button it back up carefully, and enjoy a functional pristine reel.

Just like a car that has been setting for 60 years.  More damage can be done in the first 10 seconds of starting the engine without a pre-check, new oil, and carefully cycling the pistons — then in 100,000 miles of proper servicing and driving.

Show us some pics.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.