Cork Tape

Started by joel8080, April 24, 2019, 09:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joel8080

I just bought a beautiful old Saber Deck Hand rod, in great shape except the cork wrap needs to be replaced, Question Is it difficult to remove the old cork, and how hard is it to replace the cork wrap?, or is there something better and easier then cork wrap?.

joel8080
Oceanside,California

Swami805

Should peel off pretty easy. Sometimes it will leave a clear layer of tape behind that you need to get off. A heat gun is helpful to get it to peel off. You don't need to clean the glue left behind off, you can put new tape over it
To put on the new tape just peel off the backing and wrap it on. At piece of masking tape around the end to hold it done while wrapping then finish the end with a small piece of shrink tube. If you're handy with tuna cord you can add a Turks head instead of shrink tube. The butt cap will hold the bottom end in place
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Joel, i just got back in town and am sending check for rod tomorrow.  I'm looking at a roll of cork tape I'm happy to put in a box for you if you wish. Lemme know.

John

joel8080

Thanks John but 3 hours ago I ordered a roll of cork tape.

Tight Lines

joel 8080
Oceanside,California

thorhammer

LOL, ok. go slow with the wrap and it helps to warm it with hair dryer or heat gun so it will mold the blank radius and not leave gaps.

joel8080

Over the weekend I am going to remove the old cork, is it best to do it with a Heat Gun or scrape it off ?, the Rod in in great shape like new but the cork is bad dried out., I have new cork and a new butt cap in route.

joel 8080
Oceanside,California

thorhammer

it will likely take both...i'd heat it up to loosen the glue and you are prolly going to then scrape it off in chunks with a knife. VERY unlikely it will unwind, and certainly not if it's the older type tape without the backing on it. I usually sand it smooth after, because cork tape will lift and make gaps that tear if applied on bumpy or dirty surface. I wipe with alcohol to get good and clean before application. lesson learned the hard way from not taking the time.

if you wish i will send you a couple pieces of X flock heat shrink for the ends at the seat and foregrip.

joel8080

Hi

That would be great I was wondering what to use for the ends, Problem solved.

joel 80809
Oceanside,California

MarkT

Cup the tape a little when you put it on then roll it over a 2x4 to get to lay down smooth with no gaps.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Newell Nut

This is my preferred way of cleanly finishing cork tape. Wrap with D black thread and two coats of thread finish. Customers love it.

Dwight

joel8080

I removed the cork from the rod it was much easier then I thought it would be, but I found that it had 2 layers of cork on the rod.
Question should I put 1 or 2 layers on the rod?. I am going to mount a TRQ 12 Reel or a Penn 500 on it I'm not sure yet.

joel 8080
Oceanside,California

Swami805

Depends on how you like it, sometimes 1 layer doesn't feel right in your hand. Also check  to see that the reel clamp is big enough to fit around the handle.
Be sure to wrap the 2nd layer the opposite direction than the first. Not a bad idea to put a section of shrink tube we're the reel will be so the cork tape will last longer
Do what you can with that you have where you are

joel8080

Thanks for the reply, I am going to mount the reel with a Reel Puppy, I tried both reels and they both fit with the 2 layers and with the reel puppy just needed a little longer screws for the TRQ.
I like the idea of putting shrink wrap where the reel sits it was one of the 2 problems I found one being the cork was old & dried out the other was the top layer was worn out where the reel sat.

Thank you

joel 8080
Oceanside,California

Ron Jones

Quote from: Newell Nut on April 25, 2019, 10:54:19 PM
This is my preferred way of cleanly finishing cork tape. Wrap with D black thread and two coats of thread finish. Customers love it.

Dwight

Now...I like that a lot!
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

thorhammer

Joel, your shrink is on the way- it's about 7.5". That should be enough to run under the seat, and leave a couple inches to shrink the tip-end terminus of cork wrap. I put a wrap or two of black tape on the cork end to hold in place while I'm shrinking as the taper will want to flare  / lift off the rod. you can use a crutch or chair leg tip on the bottom (over a couple wraps of tape) that will give you a good knob for casting.

John