Cork Tape

Started by joel8080, April 24, 2019, 09:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joel8080

John

I received your package, thank you so much, it will look great on the Rod.

Joel

Oceanside,California

thorhammer

cool, show us pics when done!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: joel8080 on May 01, 2019, 04:49:46 PM
Thanks for the reply, I am going to mount the reel with a Reel Puppy, I tried both reels and they both fit with the 2 layers and with the reel puppy just needed a little longer screws for the TRQ.
I like the idea of putting shrink wrap where the reel sits it was one of the 2 problems I found one being the cork was old & dried out the other was the top layer was worn out where the reel sat.

Thank you

joel 8080

joel8080

When I bought my deck hand rod, I was told it was a Sabre, when it arrived I looked every where for the Sabre label, when I removed the old cork grip I found the label it was there old original label, I tried to remove it and I destroyed it big time.
Question does any one know where I can get a Sabre label? the rod came out just great But I would like to put the Sabre label back on it and then it's finished.

joel 8080
Oceanside,California

thorhammer

If anyone has one, it would be Swami (Sheridan) I think.

Looking forward to your pics- SoCal's look good and I acquired a cork puppy from Nick (RFP), so why not whip one up for myself :)

SoCalAngler

Joel,

I don't have a label but did yours look like this?

Swami805

I don't have any, the last one I did I was able to save it from under the cork tape.

That's a nice old sabre there, I think they call that a cinnamon blank. That's a waterslide decal , I don't think you can salvage one of those. That's an older logo on there too, they changed it a few times over the years.
Maybe as Sabre's become more collectible someone will make some
Do what you can with that you have where you are

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Swami805 on May 15, 2019, 04:44:57 PM
I don't have any, the last one I did I was able to save it from under the cork tape.

That's a nice old sabre there, I think they call that a cinnamon blank. That's a waterslide decal , I don't think you can salvage one of those. That's an older logo on there too, they changed it a few times over the years.
Maybe as Sabre's become more collectible someone will make some

I don't want to change Joel's thread but a little info on my Sabre.

I had a rod that I busted the ring out of the stripper guide. With Calstar's lifetime warranty they said bring it in and they would fix it free of charge. When I went to the factory I brought along the Sabre hoping to get some info on it.. After doing the paperwork to get the guide replaced I asked if someone could give me info on a older Sabre I have. The lady up front said she would get Pat. I ask this older woman Pat if she is Leon's wife and she said yes.

Long story short Pat looks at the rod and asks if I have a minute and I said yes. She then asks me to follower her and we go through the factory to a back building and inside is Leon. Leon looks at the rod and was shocked on how good of shape it was in. I was told the 5000's series were what they called Super Sabre's and was built most likely on the late 70's.

I was also told the rod is bone stock, I thought it was rewrapped because it looked so nice, and it still looks brand new to this day.

Ron Jones

I bought two that had never been fished a few years back. One is put up and the other one goes with me everywhere.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

droppedit

If you can find the image you want on the rod and get me a cartridge of white for my Alps printer I'll run off a few for you. PM me if your interested.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

joel8080

The Sabre label was Red and Sabre in White, and the script looked the same but no slide, there was nothing to save the label just fell apart.

The Rod was a custom, it's in great shape and it was built by The Bent Rod for Jerry Foose the only other Marking is BS500
Which I can not figure out what it means. it's 7'3" and I guess 20/30 maybe 35 lb rod.

joel 8080

Oceanside,California