Anti Reverse not Working on Newell 322

Started by mrdstone, April 25, 2019, 02:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdstone

??? ???....I was out on an overnight Monday and we got into some nice WSB and A few Nice Yellow's..... I was lucky enough to be one of the guys to get bit on both...... But about halfway into the fight with my Yellowtail, the anti reverse on my Newell 322 went out......... It would catch and then not catch..... It went on like that until I got the fish to gaff.  I've only changed handles and drags myself, is it a big deal to fix??? I cant tell by looking at the schematic....  Any info and help would be highly appreciated.

Bryan Young

Depending on the size of your under gear drag washer, it's likely that the dog is getting caught in the under gear drag washer. That is why my kits come with a small under gear washer.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

reel man

Sounds like the tension spring for the anti reverse pawl is either weak or has popped off the pawl. This an easy fix after you pull the right side plate and drop the bridge plate out. The pawl may have been installed upside down, and if you look closely one side of the pawl is slightly rounded, so this side should be riding on the bridge plate. Check the end of the tension spring to make sure it's bent at 90 degrees.

SoCalAngler

One other thing when you changed the drags did you happen to take off the anti reverse pawl (dog)? If so make sure it is facing the right direction to catch the ratchet correctly.

Looks like reel man beat me to it.

PacRat

Also check the AR pawl for too much grease while you're in there. I've switched to a drop of oil on the pawl pivot because it's quicker reacting and keeps things snappy on the AR...too much grease can be sticky and slow things down which messes with reliability.