microlite 265 disassembly

Started by nctrucker, April 26, 2019, 11:43:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nctrucker

i picked up a microlite somewhere in my ramblings. wanting to get it back working but i am having problems. i have been able to get started on getting it apart but i do not know the technique needed to get the rotor cup loose.
the reel functions as far as reeling but bail won't close on it's own when turned. the ferrule on the handle is is pieces and falling apart. pin 100-042  for axle is bent pretty bad. think i want to replace it. 100-363 trip lever may have problems. i want to get another.100-399 hexagon nut is left handed thread.
wonderful little reel. i have 6 or so abu garcia zebco 3's a couple of shimano stradic 2000's and a few other ul reels but this one needs to be fixed. thanks for any/all help.

Cubby1973

The ferrel on the handle come in two halves. The rotor is screwed onto the gear. You'll have to hold the gear and unscrew the rotor. I used folded paper or cardboard to stop the gear from rotating. I just can't remember if it's a lefty or right loosen. One of the experts will be along soon to give you definite answers.
Thanks
Jeff

foakes

The rotor unscrews from the steel worm drive — just like the hex nut that holds it on on top of the drive washer.

For those of you working on these 265 Microlites — here is a caution:

Some of the rotors and worm drive pinions have right hand threads — some have left hand threads.

The rotor must be threaded and started in the proper direction initially — and squarely — otherwise thread damage will occur to the aluminum rotor threads in case of a wrong way attempt, or an accidental cross-threading of the very fine machine threads found in the aluminum rotor.

I do have the parts available that you asked about.  The black ferrule is a solid one piece deal.  It has been broken, it sounds like.  Been pretty busy with reels and other Life things.

Completed a couple of 265 restores yesterday — today I am scheduled to complete (3) 110N's, a 270 Super, and an old 248 (which is a very good, and fairly rare 220 size reel from the 50's and 60's).  Then tomorrow will attack another few boxes of old Quicks.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

nctrucker

thanks , guys, for your help and advise. i'll try to get some stuff done with the reel this weekend.

Cubby1973

Well that's weird! Both Microlites I have both have the ferrule is exactly halved. Thought it was in the design. Still works flawlessly, so no worse off. I'll have to remember the both lefty righty thing next time I clean and lube. I know I have two different types because they have different AR switches. Maybe I'll erch L or R on the inside of rotor next time I have it apart. Love both of them!

Thanks
Jeff

nctrucker

the left hand nut on my 265 has been mistreated in trying to remove it, not by me. i think i will take nail polish and put L or left on rotor cup. i would have liked to have a flat ended 6 point 10 mm socket though.

nctrucker

i've made some progress. i have several parts with problems.

i like the simplicity of the reel and appreciate the complexity of the design. pretty fancy.

ferrule 265/16 is cracked i need a new one.
spool shaft 265/80  has a bent pin. spool does not latch/click into place. i want to replace shaft.
may need a new pin 265/20  for handle.
i want to replace trip lever 265/54 that is nasty  and bent,
missing pin 110/68-265/68 from trip lever
hexagon nut265/31  is a bit abused but works well.
undulated washer for spool 110-77 is missing.
265/27 ball bearing if useable but pretty rough. should be replaced.

should crank axle265/15  and driving wheel 265/24 be separated before removing worm gear?
can i just "tap" worm gear shaft265/26 loose with bearing. should i douse it with penetrating oil? i do not have access to an ultrasonic cleaner.
thanks very much in advance for your insights and recommendations.

foakes

I just use a block of wood with a hole drilled.

Drop the worm in the hole and just tap the worm out with a nylon faced hammer.

Steel worm gear comes out of the case last — after the main and oscillation gear.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.