Chinese (proberos) reel drag issue

Started by maxpowers, April 28, 2019, 04:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpowers

Hi everyone,

I took a flyer on a proberos reel that is a clone of the accurate boss just to see how much progress  has been made in the production of these reel.  I tore it apart and greased, oiled all the bearings.  The problem is that even when I dial the drag knob up to stupid tight the drag can be pulled off by hands with a little effort.  My guess is about 5-7 lbs of drag.  When I  tore it apart I squeezed the drag plates on both sides of the spool and the drag were crazy tight.  Couldn't pull any line off so I know the plates are ok.  I wrapped flex tape and put about 5/7 lbs of drag on when I spooled the line on.  My question is, is there any way for me to shim with some extra washers to increase the drag?

Thanks

alantani

Does this reel have belleville spring washers?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

maxpowers

No belleville.  I noticed that the drag plates are a good 1/4 in smaller in radius than the drag washers.  Anyway I am just gonna chalk it up to a bad flyer.

maxpowers

Just an update.  The gearing and drive shaft material is very soft and of poor quality.  The handle is already spinning around the gear.  Best to stay away and buy brand name.

gstours

Hey max,.  Don't give up so soon.  Tell us more about the symptoms.  There's a hundred folks with an idea or two.  This is what makes Alan's sight a step above.🎣.  Reels are simply mechanical toys.🤦‍♀️

bhale1

ah shucks... thats too bad... sometimes they do a very good job on "knock-offs", but apparently not here :'(
Accurate makes high quality reels, machined out of top notch materials, and thats what you pay for. Sorry this didn't work out.....but thank you for the heads up!!!!
Brett

maxpowers

the seller refunded me $64 from and $80 purchase and I didn't have to ship the damaged reel back.  a $16 experiment.  Anyway I was thinking of having someone tig weld the gear to the drive shaft  and lapping the drag plates.  At this point there's nothing to lose.

Alto Mare

Maybe someone could weld that gear sleeve in place for you. Not sure why they need to have it to be removable.
I have a few reels myself, not exactly the same as yours.
Some of mine, the gear sleeve is held with a C-clip, you remove it once and it will never be as tight as it was.
I'm not crazy about the design.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

If that is the solution, then send it to me and I will weld it and machine it. If you are not in a rush.

Joe/Off the Hook Rod & Reel
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

bhale1

.....now that sounds promising...this could be fun to follow ;D
Brett