Another B Grade spinner-- The Compac 75 Corona

Started by festus, April 28, 2019, 04:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

What we have here is a reel probably made by Omori or Olympic.  I have no idea when it was manufactured, I'm guessing late 1970s.  I'm a fan of those little ulralight Compac Atlas III, the Diamond Micro7, and the Shakespeare 2200.  I gave one of my Atlas III to my brother-in-law last week, and he was impressed even though he's a machinist and knows metals and engineering.

I have no idea if this was Compac's biggest spinning reel, it weighs 16.4 oz on my scales without line.

It has a strong, bullet proof looking gear box.

Two screws are removed to separate the axle from the crosswind block.

Total of 8 side plate screws.

Dirty in there, and no surprise the main gear and crosswind block are pot metal.

Rotor nut has left hand threads, very common in Japanese made reels.

Again, no honery old snap ring to remove to get to the bearing and pinion gear.

I cleaned the parts inside the housing, but left servicing the bail assembly for another day.  This has the old hammer type trip and a typical skirted spool setup.  I don't mind because I can close the bail manually. It has one ball bearing, much smaller than those found in DAM Quicks, Sea Wonders, or reels of similar size.

Handsome reel, body style is definitely different than anything I've owned.  lt reels very smooth and effortlessly.

Captain64-200

Nice design and I like  this golden color ...
Fred from Biarritz ,

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Very very nice tutorial Festus!

I wish these old reels didn't have these pot metal drive parts.  It's a travesty.  I have a Japanese Olympic-made reel that has the main drive gear all chewed up, because it was made out of pot metal. 
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

happyhooker

Unique exterior look.  Odd mix of skirted spool, ball bearing and exterior bail trip.

Frank

mo65

Thanks for the look inside that one Chester. I'm always curious...no matter the "value". 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~