Best Affordable Line Counting Reel (or one that creates the fewest problems)

Started by kmstorm64, April 29, 2019, 06:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmstorm64

Hi Folks,  been debating picking up a line counting reel for salmon trolling off the Kayak.  That said I have heard good and bad things about of line counting reels.  Some reels seem to be horrible and others seem to love them. Looking form something that would be good for mono or braid (braid top shot anyways), 17-30 pound test. I would love to hear what the forum think of the different reels. Keeping in the up to $200 range, as Kayak reels tend to get beat faster than boat reels (can't imagine why...lol).  Thanks UP front for your input!
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

philaroman

metered braid will cost you $20 - not, $200
works w/ any reel you already know & trust

foakes

Pretty hard to beat a Daiwa 47LC or 27LC, IMO...

Line counter works well — graphite frame — low priced either new or used. Light, well balanced, low profile, durable.

When I was snowmobiling one year up at Huntington Lake in late February — I found a 27LC, a rod,
lead core line, and flashers leaning on a stump when the lake was way down.  Obvious what happened — someone trolling 6 or 8 months previously — no lanyard on the setup — snagged a stump — and lost the whole setup.  As the lake was being let down after the ice was off, in anticipation of the upcoming Spring runoff — the rod and reel became exposed.  

I rinsed it off, broke open the side, cleaned it out just basically, oiled a few spots, — and used it over at Moss Landing and Half Moon Bay for another 5 years of Salmon fishing.  It performed flawlessly.  Caught a lot of Salmon.  We were running TLD5's on powered downriggers with a line counter.  We used the Daiwa for mooching —  the line counter was very accurate — gave it to my brother-in-law 23 years ago.  He is still using it every year.

Not a lot of money — parts are available — and they will handle up to 40 pound line.  I always ran 25 or 30.

IMO.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

kmstorm64

Quote from: philaroman on April 29, 2019, 06:27:29 PM
metered braid will cost you $20 - not, $200
works w/ any reel you already know & trust

Thanks for the tip, that is one of those things I hardly ever see in a store, but everyone seems to have on one reel or another.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

philaroman

can't beat Fred's advice for a good, cheap dedicated reel
for my rare need -- I can count to five...  one hand will do, LOL
(if far/deep, just count the times one color repeats)

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer