Main Menu

Ling Cod Killer

Started by Maxed Out, April 29, 2019, 07:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

It's that time of year again, and this year I needed to replenish my pipe jig arsenal. There are many different methods to making pipe jigs. I learned from the best charter captain on the northwest coast.

I start with 3/4" copper, and cut pieces to 9 3/8", drill shallow 7/8 holes in a chunk of lumber, place the pipes in and pour the lead.

As it is cooling is best time to insert the jig eyelet with a heavy barrel swivel.

Once cooled, its time to mark the center and drill hole for the pin. then install swivel, split ring, and 12/0 treble hook onto the pin eye, then insert the pin and bend the ends over. That's it !! These naked pipe jigs will soon be killing lots of lings, and have been the go-to for ling cod for decades here off the coast of Washington state. We also catch a fair amount of "incidental" halibut with these jigs

The 9 3/8" length is just long enough so the 12/0 treble can't foul on the ends of the pipe. This length formula was mainly developed to adhere to Canadian regulations that limits weight to 1,000 grams, or approximately 35 ounces. This weight is also perfect for Washington waters, where our hot spots are about 400' deep.

If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer.......i'll post some action pictures in next few weeks

Pic #2 is a finished pipe jig, and also all the hardware used

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Ron Jones

My absolute favorite type of artificial that you can't watch coming in. We're going to have so much fun.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Captain64-200

I can't even imagine why lingcod eat  that kind of plumbing stuff , but hey, who am I to judge ... ;D

Nice work Ted !
Fred from Biarritz ,

thorhammer

Quote from: Captain64-200 on April 29, 2019, 09:06:03 PM
I can't even imagine why lingcod eat  that kind of plumbing stuff , but hey, who am I to judge ... ;D

Nice work Ted !

yes that looks like a water heater install gone wrong....but proof in the pudding.

Swami805

I want to know what the first guy to do that was thinking? Trying to imagine the thought bubble light bulb going off over his head. Proven ling killer!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

Interesting Ted...I love the hand made stuff! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Dominick

Hey Ted, do you use bait with that or just as it is? Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Maxed Out

Bait on that pipe jig will not do as good as a naked pipe....just a big treble and lead filled pipe hammering the rocky bottom.

Rivverrat

This is crazy.... I mean that any fish would go after that. if it works who cares... Jeff

whalebreath

Noise and a little electricity do the trick.

Ron Jones

I've caught spot fin croaker with them in So-Cal. Get the water deep enough and all the pretty is for the fisherman. Same as the reel and rod, the fish isn't going to take the sardine connected to the Avet over the Abu, promise.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Hardy Boy

They will get a work out in a few weeks ....................... looking forward to it. Lots of guys used to use them here (some still do ) but most have switched to big swim jigs for lings. I have some of these that still get wet. I have a couple of jigs I'm bringing Ted to see how they work.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Gobi King

reminds me of the gotcha rig,

the small wire at the end of the swivel is enough to anchor it into the lead?

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Maxed Out

Quote from: Gobi King on April 30, 2019, 04:29:55 PM
reminds me of the gotcha rig,

the small wire at the end of the swivel is enough to anchor it into the lead?

Yes, the part that goes into the lead is the same eyelet you'd find on lead weights. It holds up just fine, and once the lead has cooled it ain't budging

Todd, we will have a friendly competition to see which lure works best. May the best lure win !!.....we already know who the best fisherman is  ;)

Ted

bhale1

whoa whoa whoa...... what has Ted been doing in his dungeon.....
You mean to tell me that the fish actually try an eat that ??? ???
I thought he was making weight to drop down..... If they eat that, then why do i always try to buy colored fancy thing- a-ma-jigs....
lure companies must love people like me....
Brett