Main Menu

Ling Cod Killer

Started by Maxed Out, April 29, 2019, 07:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

Quote from: bhale1 on May 01, 2019, 04:47:05 AM
whoa whoa whoa...... what has Ted been doing in his dungeon.....
You mean to tell me that the fish actually try an eat that ??? ???
I thought he was making weight to drop down..... If they eat that, then why do i always try to buy colored fancy thing- a-ma-jigs....
lure companies must love people like me....
Brett

Look at it this way...it's your contribution to reducing unemployment!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

These lures work great because the copper pipe in a current of salt water will produce a small voltage similar to that of bait fish. One thing that I do not like about these lures and the very reason why I haven't used them, as I have stated countless times before, is that if the lure is lost in the reef, it will kill the reef. If you have noticed, sea animals do not grow on copper. That is why so many bottom boat paints has copper as a main ingredient.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

shellback

been working for over 30yrs that I know of on the central coast

try cutting the ends of the pipe at opposite 45's

akfish

That's something we all need to know, Brian. I've used pipe jigs a few times, but not for almost 30 years, and never will again. These days I find that ling cod just can't resist a larger Flat Fall. The only problem is that it can be hard to get the Flat Fall through the rockfish...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Ron Jones

Quote from: akfish on May 01, 2019, 08:01:48 PM
That's something we all need to know, Brian. I've used pipe jigs a few times, but not for almost 30 years, and never will again. These days I find that ling cod just can't resist a larger Flat Fall. The only problem is that it can be hard to get the Flat Fall through the rockfish...
I think that's the best part of the pipe jig. I've hung trebble hooks off of pipe jigs that were twice the size of the jig. That has always kept the rock fish off the jig.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Gobi King

newbie question,
How big are these ling cods? I am trying to imagine something that will strike a 12/0 treble  :o
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Hardy Boy

For BC the average ling would be 12-15 lbs with lots 20 to 25 in places, but you do see then up and over 40 lbs. This picture has a 42 lber that my daughter caught two years ago notice the size of the mouth they can eat anything and they love to eat the rockfish that are also in the pic, I'm over six feet and almost as heavy as the Mook for scale !! The biggest I have caught was 53 but I have heard of fish into the 80's (not common any more).

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Gobi King

Todd, I see the mouth is way out of proportion to the body, makes sense,
Thanks for the pic!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Steve-O

They can be bigger than this but different areas have different regs on sizes harvested. This one topped out the small slot. The big fish slot in Southeast Alaska is 55 inches or longer...so approaching 5 feet.  They have no problems inhaling anything tackle wise and are often more ambitious than capable when it comes to a mouthful.

shellback

that fish would be mounted and put on my wall

serious dinosaur

gstours

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures.  Long cod is my favorite deep frying fish.  Our refs up here allow only one per day even for residents.  You're copper lead jigs will work good no doubt.  🚣‍♀️

Hardy Boy

I don't usually keep the big ones any more as I prefer to eat the smaller fish (20 lb and under), the big ones can get wormy plus the recovery is not as good as the huge head and with the gut being so big. A buddy of mine caught a 60 lber and it was not ever hooked ; it had grabbed a 12 lb ling and held on all the way to the boat where we gaffed it. This is very common as many big lings are caught when they grab another fish you have on the line (rock fish , ling or even a salmon).

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Steve-O

Quote from: shellback on May 03, 2019, 03:26:00 PM
that fish would be mounted and put on my wall

serious dinosaur

Mine went in the freezer and in fish tacos. YUM!

Here's the one on the wall at the Lodge. 5 Feet something - 60#'s or so.

Hardy Boy

Don't get me wrong the big ones are still more than edible but I prefer the finer fleshed smaller sized fish. The large fish over 30 lbs will all be female and the larger the fish the more eggs they can produce ... that also plays into my decision to let the big ones go. That being said I have no issues with folks keeping a large trophy fish especially if it is the first big ling they have ever caught. I also happen to live in a place where lings are still relatively abundant and big ones can still be found.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Steve-O

Quote from: Hardy Boy on May 03, 2019, 04:43:15 PM
Don't get me wrong the big ones are still more than edible but I prefer the finer fleshed smaller sized fish. The large fish over 30 lbs will all be female and the larger the fish the more eggs they can produce ... that also plays into my decision to let the big ones go. That being said I have no issues with folks keeping a large trophy fish especially if it is the first big ling they have ever caught. I also happen to live in a place where lings are still relatively abundant and big ones can still be found.

Cheers:

Todd

I'm with you 100% on your comments, Todd.  This was the first big Ling for me and the slot changed again this year for SE AK so most likely it will be my only big Ling. The small fish slot also shrank some. The harvest limit for a non-res (me) is one fish in each slot annually. So pretty much one smaller Ling. Which I'm good with. In all 21 of my AK trips I have caught and kept 2 Lings. Lotsa Silvers, Kings and Halibut though to fill the freezer.  ;D

SE AK has tons of big Lings and more Yelloweye than you can imagine. I have caught and kept 3 Yellloweye...lots of Black Rockfish for the tacos.