Main Menu

Ling Cod Killer

Started by Maxed Out, April 29, 2019, 07:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Quote from: Steve-O on May 03, 2019, 06:07:11 PMThe harvest limit for a non-res (me) is one fish in each slot annually.

Just curious, how do they know how many you've caught for the year? You gotta register your fish?

Steve-O

Quote from: nelz on May 03, 2019, 06:40:45 PM
Quote from: Steve-O on May 03, 2019, 06:07:11 PMThe harvest limit for a non-res (me) is one fish in each slot annually.

Just curious, how do they know how many you've caught for the year? You gotta register your fish?

Here's the long and short of it.  The regs state the limits of harvestable fish. The State Troopers are the enforcement arm of Fish and Game. Only a poacher would go over the limits. No one likes a poacher in Alaska - That's a boat sinking offense with all hands on board in some folks minds. Otherwise they get turned in.

LINGCOD
• Season: May 16–November 30.
• Charter operators and crew members may not retain lingcod while clients are on
board the vessel.
• Northern Southeast Lingcod Area:
• Alaska Residents—No size limit: 1 per day, 2 in possession.
• Nonresidents—1 per day, 1 in possession; 30–35 inches or 55 inches and
longer, annual limit of 2 fish, one of which is 30–35 inches in length, and one
that is 55 inches or greater in length, harvest record required (see page 6).
• Southern Southeast Lingcod Area
• Alaska Residents—No size limit: 1 per day, 2 in possession.
• Nonresidents— 1 per day, 1 in possession; 30–45 inches or 55 inches and
longer, annual limit of 2 fish, one of which is 30–45 inches in length, and one
that is 55 inches or greater in length, harvest record required (see page 6).

Page 6.

Harvest records are required by ALL anglers when harvesting any species with an
annual limit. Species with an annual limit are listed in the General Regulations section.

Gobi King

In MI they give you a tag like a hunting tag for sturgeon and muskie, as soon you catch it, you have to tag it.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Steve-O

Quote from: Gobi King on May 03, 2019, 08:51:58 PM

In MI they give you a tag like a hunting tag for sturgeon and muskie, as soon you catch it, you have to tag it.

I think in south central AK they ave you clip the tail fin...maybe,,,not sure. I only fish SE AK each year.

Other game gets "sealed" with some sort of plastic tag by F&G...but I don't hunt there.

I do know that if you kill a bear no matter what reason, one is required to skin and skull it to have is sealed by fish and game.

theswimmer

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 01, 2019, 04:04:39 PM
These lures work great because the copper pipe in a current of salt water will produce a small voltage similar to that of bait fish. One thing that I do not like about these lures and the very reason why I haven't used them, as I have stated countless times before, is that if the lure is lost in the reef, it will kill the reef. If you have noticed, sea animals do not grow on copper. That is why so many bottom boat paints has copper as a main ingredient.

I produced some ling  flys with copper wire based on this premise , and although they did out produce flys
without the copper winding ,  I will error on the side of caution and side with Brian .
Damaging a whole reef for the sake of a big ling is just not worth it imo.
Same reason I will continue to release Ling over 12-15 lbs , I don't participate in jackpot wagers for the same reason .
Plus the smaller ling have much better flesh quality and flavor from my point of view. YMMV.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn