DAM Quick 111 Finessa XL Schematic

Started by mo65, May 02, 2019, 02:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Here's one you don't see every day. Skimming through the owner's manual you'll see this reel had some very cool features. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

philaroman

huge question: what's the main gear made of???

mo65

Quote from: philaroman on May 02, 2019, 03:07:37 PM
huge question: what's the main gear made of???

Good question man. My record of identifying these gear materials ain't exactly flawless...but it appears to be machined aluminum. Take a look at this pic and see what you think.

festus

Is this your reel, Mo65?  Another outstandingly designed D-A-M Quick, but I'd never heard of this model.

mo65

Quote from: festus on May 02, 2019, 04:10:15 PM
Is this your reel, Mo65?  Another outstandingly designed D-A-M Quick, but I'd never heard of this model.

Yes Chester, it is. I knew DAM Quick had moved production to Asia, but had never seen any of the early results. While this reel has a lighter build style than the classic Quicks, it's still more robust than most of it's competition of the day, or any day for that matter! 8)

philaroman

no gold, huh?  :(  
guessing aluminum alloy better than most, but still aluminum

DougK

thanks mo.. as you say, some nice features. In these smaller reels I particularly like the huge drag washers - this seems to work really well for the light drags. My Mitchell 308 and the DAM 110 have similar setups, clearly superior to something like the Orvis 50 with its scaled-down version of a bigger reel's drag.

found one on ebay, but it is missing the line guide ??  never seen that before. The part # isn't found anywhere online hm. I may have to return this one, pity.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: DougK on November 24, 2021, 03:52:37 PM
thanks mo.. as you say, some nice features. In these smaller reels I particularly like the huge drag washers - this seems to work really well for the light drags. My Mitchell 308 and the DAM 110 have similar setups, clearly superior to something like the Orvis 50 with its scaled-down version of a bigger reel's drag.

found one on ebay, but it is missing the line guide ??  never seen that before. The part # isn't found anywhere online hm. I may have to return this one, pity.

Contact Mr. Oakes right here on this site (foakes is his user name )
He has the Worlds Supply of Dam parts .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

Here is a new line guide for the 111 DQ, Doug —

These are not available anywhere in the world — for any price — N/C to you..

PM me your full mailing address — and I'll get it in the mail today, before the holiday.  We will be gone for a few days for Thanksgiving, leaving tomorrow morning.  Mariposa, Merced, Monterey.

You guys need to realize that I am fortunate enough to have bought out a few shops worldwide that were DQ Factory Service Centers, in the day.  These 300,000 plus parts & parts reels would be close to worthless, unless they were organized into accessible part number order — and I took the time to do that.

Towards the end — I just bulk-sorted the scraps and pieces into large bins — too much to sort.

The 111, 222, 333, etc. series are a top quality reel.  DQ's style, engineering, and mind-set — even for Asian reels — mean't that they were still way ahead of the comparable competition.  Some of this series were manufactured in Western Germany — and some identical ones are marked Japan.

I would be surprised if anyone could find a DQ inventory that is even 10% of what is stored in my shops.

There are at least another (10) 60 quart crates of DQ factory service returns that I have not gone through yet.

Something to be thankful for — and for Alan Tani members — all is available.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

To sum it up .

If Fred ain't Got it .
You probably don't need it!
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

On the way, Doug —

Plus an off-side crank cap, lock washer, and tapered guide washer.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Way to go, Fred.  Those who appreciate DAM Q have a lot to be thankful for in you & your cache of stuff & knowledge.

Frank

DougK

parts arrived in good order, thank you Fred.. very happy to be able to rescue this reel from its decrepitude..

The multiplier is a Shakespeare Tournament competition casting reel, with 4lb braided silk line. I keep it on my desk as a kind of fidget spinner, the only reel in my collection that doesn't get fished..

I'll do a separate post on the reel cleanup..