Avet G2 Reels -- Review and Questions for people that have them

Started by SeaBush, May 02, 2019, 08:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBush

Can someone discuss the difference between the standard avet line (non raptor) and the new G2 line?

Is there more to it than the ratcheted drag lever and a new AR dog and ratchet?

Do they have a different drag cam and ramp?

Do they have larger bearings?

I know they claim a higher drag range but is it real or just marketing?

I wish Avet would make the smaller reels (MXJ specifically) with the raptor drag and single speed (and less money).  I am hoping that the G2 solves the limited drag range of the MXJ, its my fav size and the raptor is great but its hard to shell out money for a bunch of these reels when I never use the low gear or MC for bait fishing.

Thanks for the help.

CB

akfish

The G2 reels do have more drag and a slightly larger pinion bearing. They also have a little more line capacity. They incorporate the new style anti-reverse dog that was introduced in the later model standard Avets so there is only a little handle back play. In my opinion, the G2 reels are worth the extra money if you want a single speed reel. If you want two speeds, the Raptor is only a little more than the G2 so I'd get a Raptor. If it means anything, I no longer sell standard Avets out of my shop, only the G2 and Raptor models.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: MarkT on May 03, 2019, 12:57:21 AM
The G2 is the reel they should've started with!

I agree somewhat but hind-site is 20/20. One has to remember when Avet first came out with reels braided lines were very new and only used by a few on smaller reels. Mark Smith at Charkbait really introduced most non-long range fishermen to braided lines by offering free braid spooling when you bought a reel from them. Soon to be followed by many other retailers. So the need for more drag on smaller reels was not in the picture when Avet designed these reels due to line capacity of the smaller reels. Really back then only Daiwa was recommending or mentioned braid braid spooling with their reels and this was with the new Saltiga's only. Even Accurate with their smaller dual drag reels early on only thought about mono spooling. Accurate even listed their reel model numbers to match Seeker rods and some Calstar model numbers for the correct rod to fish with their reels. These rod model numbers were all designed around mono ratings.

As far as the OP's question I think AK covered it well and IMO there is not a huge difference between the original Avet's and the G2's. If fishing the drag pressures designed for the original Avet reels you should be fine. The SX line was designed for 15-20 lb test, the MX's 25-30, JX's-LX's 40 lb and the HX's 50 lb. Over fishing these reels, meaning higher drag ratings, than what the reel was designed for is when people started having issues with them.

In my mind the G2's were a stop gap design to keep Avet fans buying their reels until the Raptors came out. Like AK said the larger pinion bearing is what gives the G2's the ability for more drag pressure.

The early Avet reels (engraved side plates) mostly had a different anti reverse system and a strait handle arms with machined aluminum knobs. But, the silent anti reverse was introduced into the Avet line up before all these early changes happened. My late father had a MXL 2 speed with engraved side plates, strait handle arm with machined knob but it had the silent dog system incorporated in his reel.

You see things on the G2's that were brought to the Raptors like the ratcheting drag levers, larger pinion bearing and machining the spool differently for a bit more line. Like I said I think the G2 were a after thought and a stop gap until Avet could get the Raptors out.

MarkT

SX/MX have the same drags... neither are up to fishing 30# with 10# of drag at strike.  The G2 came out after the Raptors!  I always thought the original Avets were not what they could/should've been.  Other all metal reels at that time could be fished at higher drags than the graphite TLD/SlSh/GS reels, and even those graphite reels could be fished above the Avets.  That's part of what the Pro Gears great... they could be pushed to fish above their weight class.

Ron Jones

Really, a reel as expensive as an Avet can't fish 10#s? That almost seems criminal.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

MarkT

Quote from: Ron Jones on May 03, 2019, 04:01:38 AM
Really, a reel as expensive as an Avet can't fish 10#s? That almost seems criminal.
Ron Jones

Exactly!  Sheep in wolves clothing... they're rated at 9# at strike.  You start going much above that and the pinion bearing is toast.  OTOH, at least they only charge $5 for a new bearing!  The Raptors are wolves in wolves clothing... an MXJ Raptor is rated for 21# at strike.  The MXJ G2 at 13# so at least you can legitimately fish 40# on one.

SoCalAngler

Your right Mark the G2's did follow the Raptors, sorry. But, I still think they are only a gap filler and not much of that.

I fish my SX with 8 lbs at strike for 25 lb test and have for 5-6 years now without a issue. If I were going to bump it up to 30 lb test, which I won't, I'd still fish it the same way and if I needed more drag than the 8 lbs I'd move the lever past strike.

The SX and MX line will get 9 lbs at strike or 14 lbs at full so yeah 30 lb test is not out of their range IMO. It just kind of matters on how you set the preset.

I don't remember any lever drag ProGear reels 20 years ago when Avet hit the market? Did Progear ever make a lever drag reel? Daiwa's small LD reels reels came a few years after Accurate and Avet and weren't those the Saltiga and Saltist LG's. I'm not trying to pick a fight, really, I just don't remember other small aluminum LD reels from 20 years ago.

As I remember it Accurate and Avet where the only small machined LD reels back then. I could be wrong.

SeaBush

I understand that if you fish them in their specs they are fine. I just would like the MXJ single speed to put out enough drag up fish 40# (20# full, 13# strike) without killing the pinion or losing free spool. I have the JX single speed because the MXJ didn't put out the drag I wanted.

Has anyone fished the new G2 at the rated specs? Do they perform well? Can the MXJ G2 make 13 at strike with free spool and still get bearing life?

CB