Thinning down yamalube grease

Started by basenjib123, May 02, 2019, 11:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basenjib123

Anyone recommend a way to thin down yama-lube blue grease?  I like it but finding it slows down some spinning reels too much for my liking.

Tiddlerbasher

TSI321 works well with most greases.

basenjib123

RowdyW

Don't know how thin you want it. Put a dab on a piece of plastic or other non absorbent material and add a few drops of oil and mix. If it is still to thick just keep adding oil till it gets to the consistancy you want. If it gets to thin then add a little more grease.  ;D        Rudy

wfjord

I tried thinning blue Yamalube with TSI321, but the TSI dissolved/liquified the grease.

Now I thin it with CorrosionX and it's great. No particular ratio. Like Rowdy said.  When I mix up a batch in my jar I just squirt the CorrX in it until I get in the neighborhood of the consistency I like.

basenjib123

Quote from: wfjord on May 03, 2019, 01:43:36 AM
I tried thinning blue Yamalube with TSI321, but the TSI dissolved/liquified the grease.  Now I thin it with CorrosionX and it works great.

Have you settled on a ratio?

wfjord

No exact ratio, it's not that critical. I just eyeball it. I've squirted quite a bit of corrx in it and it hasn't gotten runny. I just try to end up with a nice soft blend that still keeps it's shape in the jar while it's stored.

Tiddlerbasher

I am currently using a synthetic teflon based grease on everything. For small spinners and fly reels I thin with TSI321. Small amount of grease couple of drops of tsi until I get the right consistency (don't overdo the oil - one drop at a time)

exp2000

I tried thinning blue Yamalube with TSI321, but the TSI dissolved/liquified the grease.

Now I thin it with CorrosionX and it's great.

For what it's worth, I have always maintained that thinning grease with TSI is a questionable practice.

Grease relies on adhesion for effective lubrication. Apply TSI to any surface and it acts as a grease repellent.

CX is a better choice but when you consider that all grease is comprised of is oil in a soap base carrier, why not just add more oil to thin it out?

You don't really need anything exotic.
~

foakes

Quote from: exp2000 on May 04, 2019, 03:14:15 PM

Now I thin it with CorrosionX and it's great.

For what it's worth, I have always maintained that thinning grease with TSI is a questionable practice.

Grease relies on adhesion for effective lubrication. Apply TSI to any surface and it acts as a grease repellent.

CX is a better choice but when you consider that all grease is comprised of is oil in a soap base, why not just add more oil to thin it out?

You don't really need anything fancy or expensive.

I am with Brett on this one —

Working on a lot of spinners — some for salt, some for fresh — plus a lot of conventionals — one grease formula does not do it all.

I just mix up a little batch of grease (Yamaha Blue Marine generally for salt reels, Cal's Purple or Tan for fresh water spinners) to the consistency I feel is best for my client and his fishing conditions — that is why I always ask how, where, and what species they will be using it for.

The oil I add is just WRL191S synthetic.  Just mix it up in a plastic drink cap for each reel until I get the performanace expected.  No cleaners or solvents in regular synthetic oil — and it mixes so well, that many years later — there is no degradation in either performance or protection.  And when servicing, it just washes out easily with solvents and cleaners.  But the key is — it stays in place, and the oil does not change the grease to another unwanted, ineffective mess.

From experience — I can tell by the operation of the bearings and moving interior parts — what is just right.

However, it is not hard rocket science — it is easy, quick, inexpensive, and effective for anyone paying attention to the details of how a reel should operate at the top of its game.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.