Finally conquered the stuck key washer ..

Started by basenjib123, May 03, 2019, 04:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basenjib123

I had a couple of Shakes with stuck key washers,  been racking my brain searching for a solution.   While laying in bed the other night it hit me .. a hub puller!  Went to amazon and ordered a small 3" puller.  I coated it with Plasti Dip to avoid scratching up the reel paint, etc.  I put a nylon washer over the pinion shaft to avoid marring.  Works like a charm!  Hope this helps people with this frustrating problem.

foakes

In the "old days" of working on vehicles — I would use hub and wheel pullers to remove steering wheels from steering columns.

That was before the steering wheels had as much safety and tech components as they have today (air bag, sound equipment, phone stuff, sensors, etc.).  They just had a horn.

Always make sure that the rotor you are removing with a puller — is not threaded onto the pinion!

Good technique, Sir!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basenjib123

Quote from: foakes on May 03, 2019, 04:58:33 PM
In the "old days" of working on vehicles — I would use hub and wheel pullers to remove steering wheels from steering columns.

That was before the steering wheels had as much safety and tech components as they have today (air bag, sound equipment, phone stuff, sensors, etc.).  They just had a horn.

Always make sure that the rotor you are removing with a puller — is not threaded onto the pinion!

Good technique, Sir!

Best,

Fred

Thanks Fred.  Funny you mention the steering wheel thing because that is exactly what led me to the thought process of using it on the reels.  I remembered seeing guys using these pullers for that very purpose.