Upgrades for a factory Tica 7ft surf Spinning rod

Started by steelfish, May 03, 2019, 05:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

I got this brand new rod for cheap cuz it had 2 broken guides and the tip, its a Tica UMGA 7ft surf Spinning rod, I was going to install some matching guides and sell it but I look at my rod rack and noticed that I NEEDED a surf rod (yep, really!! ), so, since it was going to be for my personal rods arsenal and I have most of my reels with upgrades to make them better and stronger I decided to do the same to this rod, so, I changed all stock guides for some PacBay DP Titanium frame and carbide ring, installed two shark teeth after the foregrip (newell-nut propietary trademark) and used a more vivid color for the guide wrap instead of the serious blank thread it had before, I also tried some new (for me) metallic thread in abalone shell color (iridecent holographic I would call it), this metallic threa on long wraps gives an effect similar to a tigerwrap, I really liked the way it turned out the whole thing, special thanks to Dwight to let me use his shark teeth trademark on my rods, he actually sent me some accesories and shark teeth to try them by myself.

in another thread I was mentioning that before wrapping this rod I did a static test on it and seemed that it might need another guide at least to have a better flow on the line when pulling or lifting 15lb from the ground, but after reading some of the professinal tips from Jeri (our surf fishing expert and rod builder) I opted to leave the rod with the stock 5 guides to have a minimal stiff joints by the guide/thread/epoxy and let the blank do its work on the fish, this rod is MH in action and it will work any fish from 1-6# really nice by itself, the lest guides will also help to cast better, hopefully I could test it soon with a fish.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

few more
The Baja Guy

steelfish

last set of pics, this time with indoor light

hope you liked it
The Baja Guy

Fishy247

That thing turned out pretty slick Alex! I really dig your shark logo too. ;D

Mike

steelfish

Quote from: Fishy247 on May 03, 2019, 06:39:31 PM
That thing turned out pretty slick Alex! I really dig your shark logo too. ;D

Mike

LOL thanks Mike, I draw that shark logo when I was in highschool, like 30 years ago, I never used it on anything until now, go figure!
I found the logo on a scratch book few years ago and adopted it for my rod builds as trademark
The Baja Guy

Swami805

Nice rod Alex!  Buy my favorite part is you we're going to sell it but figured you need one. You've got the disease now. 
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Fishy247

QuoteNice rod Alex!  Buy my favorite part is you we're going to sell it but figured you need one. You've got the disease now.

Disease...addiction....either way let's hope they don't find a cure!

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on May 03, 2019, 07:48:35 PM
........Buy my favorite part is you we're going to sell it but figured you need one. You've got the disease now. 

LOL !! you're kind of late on your diagnosis compadre Sheridan, my wife says Im a lost case since few years ago (compusive rod/reel buyer she said)
The Baja Guy

Donnyboat

Very nice Alex, once we have a go at turning rods, then we appriciate, what great work some of you people do, cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

Cor

Very unusual but nice colour scheme.    I love it.

The problem with being an addict is that when you eventually want to start to reduce the amount of stuff you find you can't sell it at reasonable prices.   That's what's happening to me in any case.

Here they want either new, or nearly for free.   
Cornelis

Newell Nut

Nice work Alex. Wonder where the shark tooth idea came from. ;D You did good and slowly expanding your wings. Who knows what you will build in the coming years. I just built a cool as heck gator catching spinning rod on a 130 class Rainshadow for my buddy Kevin at Get Bit Outdoors. Keep up the good work.

Dwight

steelfish

Quote from: Newell Nut on May 04, 2019, 10:30:05 AM
Nice work Alex. Wonder where the shark tooth idea came from.
I saw it somewhere, cant recall where I saw it but I liked

Quote from: Newell Nut on May 04, 2019, 10:30:05 AM
You did good and slowly expanding your wings. Who knows what you will build in the coming years. I just built a cool as heck gator catching spinning rod on a 130 class Rainshadow for my buddy Kevin at Get Bit Outdoors. Keep up the good work.
Dwight
thanks compadre Dwight, problably in comming years I will be doing the same kind of builds, not interested in doing those olive-branches wrap, diamond wrap, and tons of othere hard to make and time consuming wraps on a rod, in my taste some of them make the rod to look to "busy" only to be scratch it by boat rash and normal tear, but I never say never  ;)

Quote from: Cor on May 04, 2019, 06:47:54 AM
Very unusual but nice colour scheme.    I love it.
thanks, the idea was to make it different so, I think I can call it Goal achieved

Quote from: Cor on May 04, 2019, 06:47:54 AM
The problem with being an addict is that when you eventually want to start to reduce the amount of stuff you find you can't sell it at reasonable prices.   That's what's happening to me in any case.Here they want either new, or nearly for free.   
about selling stuff, here in Mexico its the same, so I dont like to sell used stuff cuz its the same problem, since its "used" even in perfect shape they wanted to buy it almost free, so I better keep it for me.
The Baja Guy

Reel 224

You are doing great work.

Joe/ Off the Hook Rod & Reel
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

festus

Great work, that rod looks light as a feather.