Upgraded drag penn 9500ss now not working properly

Started by Spinfisherkid, May 04, 2019, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spinfisherkid

Hey guys, I just ordered and installed a drag kit for my penn 9500ss. Washer, above spool - #6-155 Under spool kit - # 6-950 MSP.  Now I am having 2 issues.  Number one the drag is not getting tight enough, I can still turn the spool by hand when locked down.  Number two once I back off the drag it still holding some tension and not going into smooth freespool like before.  If I back the knob all the way off and pull out on the spool this goes away.  Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?  I have tried taking it all back apart a couple of times and even put the old washers/plate back in to check that drag and I cannot turn the spool by hand when it is locked down.  I am certain I have the kit installed right, removed rear metal washer then added cf, then ss plate, then gold plate then retaining ring.  On the front replaced teflon washer with CF. 

Shark Hunter

We need pics to pinpoint your problem.
The 9500 drag is pretty straight forward.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Spinfisherkid on May 04, 2019, 08:39:17 AM
Hey guys, I just ordered and installed a drag kit for my penn 9500ss. Washer, above spool - #6-155 Under spool kit - # 6-950 MSP.  Now I am having 2 issues.  Number one the drag is not getting tight enough, I can still turn the spool by hand when locked down.  Number two once I back off the drag it still holding some tension and not going into smooth freespool like before.  If I back the knob all the way off and pull out on the spool this goes away.  Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?  I have tried taking it all back apart a couple of times and even put the old washers/plate back in to check that drag and I cannot turn the spool by hand when it is locked down.  I am certain I have the kit installed right, removed rear metal washer then added cf, then ss plate, then gold plate then retaining ring.  On the front replaced teflon washer with CF. 
Try removing the spool, take the top drag washer and keyed metal washer out.
Set the spool on the reel, turn it gently until it will line up with the keyed spool shaft, you should notice it drops a little.
You will then proceed with the drag washer, keyed metal washer and retaining spring.
See if that does anything.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Spinfisherkid

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 04, 2019, 12:30:39 PM
Set the spool on the reel, turn it gently until it will line up with the keyed spool shaft, you should notice it drops a little.
You will then proceed with the drag washer, keyed metal washer and retaining spring.

Sal

This is the bottom assembly, I would have to take some pics or make a short video of what I am talking about
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/purefishing/PENN/Repair%20Bulletins/950MKit.pdf

Spinfisherkid

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 04, 2019, 12:30:39 PM

Sal

I tried this and it did not make a difference, I also know its related to the rear drag because when I removed just that and put the old assembly back in the problem went away.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

Alto Mare

I'm not sure you got this resolved by now. If you're still at it, could you show some pics of the layout, as Daron has mentioned?

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Spinfisherkid

ok guys here is a short video showing the issue I am having.  Please help if you can.

handi2

Th SS backing plate goes into the spool first just like the original you took out. Grease with Cal's grease between the SS backing plate and the bare spool.

In essence you are running out of room when tightening the drag star. Grease with Cal's the new HT-100 drag washer.

http://www.scottsbt.com/catalog/store/images/pennparts/schematics/9500ss.pdf

Look at the schematic in the bottom right hand corner. The SS eared washer goes into the spool first.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Spinfisherkid

Quote from: handi2 on May 10, 2019, 08:42:30 PM
Th SS backing plate goes into the spool first just like the original you took out. Grease with Cal's grease between the SS backing plate and the bare spool.

In essence you are running out of room when tightening the drag star. Grease with Cal's the new HT-100 drag washer.

http://www.scottsbt.com/catalog/store/images/pennparts/schematics/9500ss.pdf

Look at the schematic in the bottom right hand corner. The SS eared washer goes into the spool first.

The original drag as seen in the main diagram has the ss backing plate and then the metal disk with cf attched to bottom side.  The replacement kit seen in the lower right diagram has a carbon fiber washer, a stainless steel backing plate and then a gold metal disk. The carbon fiber eared washer replaces the stainless steel eared washer and goes in first, then follows the stainless steel backing plate (no ears) with little tabs facing up, followed by the gold metal disk, followed by the retaining ring.  This is the way I have been assembling it and everything, cf washers included has been greased with penn reel grease.

Alto Mare

It is strange, there is a possibility that the spool is milled a little deeper than most.
Do you have a drag washer on top of the spool and a metal washer?
You might be able to fix it by replacing that drag washer on top with a thicker one.
If you happen to have another drag knob, check that as well while you're at it and see if you notice any changes

Sal

Shark Hunter

Definitely Baffling,
I have upgraded many a 9500 with the bigger drag washer on the bottom and had nothing but perfect results.
Like Sal said, there may be variations in that spool configuration.
I however have not run into any.
If you want to send me that spool, I can send you one of mine back to see if it makes a difference.
I have NIB, original.
I mean no disrespect, but I would never use a power driver of that caliber on that aluminum spool with those tiny screws.
If you choose to take me up on my offer, I only will provide the bare spool with no drags.
I expect your spool the same way.
My cost shipping to you and yours to me.

Life is Good!

Spinfisherkid

Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 11, 2019, 05:18:19 AM
Definitely Baffling,
I have upgraded many a 9500 with the bigger drag washer on the bottom and had nothing but perfect results.
Like Sal said, there may be variations in that spool configuration.
I however have not run into any.
If you want to send me that spool, I can send you one of mine back to see if it makes a difference.
I have NIB, original.
I mean no disrespect, but I would never use a power driver of that caliber on that aluminum spool with those tiny screws.
If you choose to take me up on my offer, I only will provide the bare spool with no drags.
I expect your spool the same way.
My cost shipping to you and yours to me.

Shark Hunter,

I would love to take you up on that very generous offer!  I am headed to to keys tomorrow for a week so the reel will be coming with me for the time being.  However, as soon as I return I will gladly strip it and send it out to you.  I can get in touch once I am back in town.  Other than possibly replacing the spool the only other thing I have considered is trying to exchange the drag kit with the supplier in hopes that something is wrong with it. 

I agree about the big drill and tiny screws, I have smaller power tools I usually use for this kind of stuff but this is what I had close by and I was in a hurry to make the video so I was very careful.

Spinfisherkid

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 11, 2019, 02:17:46 AM
It is strange, there is a possibility that the spool is milled a little deeper than most.
Do you have a drag washer on top of the spool and a metal washer?
You might be able to fix it by replacing that drag washer on top with a thicker one.
If you happen to have another drag knob, check that as well while you're at it and see if you notice any changes

Sal

Yes, I replaced the nylon with a carbon fiber.  The cf might be thinner than the nylon or something but I am pretty sure I tried switching back and forth from stock with those and it did not make a difference.  I dont see being able to use a thicker washer on top as the retaining ring fits in there pretty snug.

Alto Mare

Ok, now that you have tested all parts, the only thing that could be causing the problem is the thickness of the eared carbon fiber washer.
As Keith has mentioned, you are running out of room.
The drag is working as it should, it just doesn't get up to its max.
Here is a couple of ideas:
If you just purchased the kit, get back to them and let them send you another carbon fiber eared washer.
If that doesn't work out, you could send me your washer and I will exchange it, or make you a thicker one.
I rather have yours here so I could see what's going on.

Even though Daron was kind enough to do this, I don't think there is a need to exchange spools, but I leave that up to you two.

Sal

Shark Hunter

Listen to Sal.
The guy knows his stuff.
I would be lost without him. ;)
I too am in Florida and won't be back home until next week.
Life is Good!