Okuma model 503--Need Help

Started by gouthro, May 06, 2019, 02:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gouthro

I have an Okuma model503 reel that I bought in Chile ten years ago, swiftly took apart and it has never worked since.  I have some big fish to catch this summer--barre rayĆ©e in French, or striped bass.  They are new here, apparently because of the warming of the ocean.  Coming north.  The crank arm doesn't turn.  The old faded instructions say that there is some kind of dot that should be lined up on the gears.  I tried everything but never succeeded.  There must be a secret. Wondering if someone might point me in the right direction to fix this otherewise new reel?
thanks G

Bryan Young

Can you post a picture of the reel?

If it has one of those ovalish main gear, then you need to line up the arrows on the gear so they mesh correctly.  If not, the gears will get ruined.  That is the only thing I can think of without picture.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

gouthro

Hello Bryan,
thanks for the reply.  I will have to take the reel apart.  will do that a little later and then post a picture.  I looked at an video on an Okuma reel and it spoke about lining up red dots.  The problem with my gears is that I can<t seem to find any dots!  I hope I haven't lost something and that may be the problem.  We will see,
thanks I will post pics a little later.
g

Tiddlerbasher

The dots aren't always 'dots' - they can be holes, small triangular indents. I replied to this on the other posting.

gouthro

Well, here goes.  A bunch of pictures.  I hope i don't swamp you all with them.  I am not very experienced at this and maybe should not even be doing it.  But I should make an attempt at saving this old reel.
I suppose the important pictures are the gears.
Thankyou g
Maybe post some more later

gouthro

i just had a quick look at the piCTURES And diagram you included.  thanks!  i will look at it more closely.
g

philaroman

semi-educated guesses (experts can expand/correct):

1. looks like no special alignment between main & simple oscillation disk

2. may need special alignment between main & pinion, because of long-term, patterned, uneven wear...  in some older well-used reels, you need to make "alignment marks" yourself, before you separate the drive gears during initial dis-assembly...  otherwise, you have find the "sweet spot" by trial & error; and too many errors may ruin the teeth (esp., alloy)...  long detailed old discussions somewhere? on Forum

Tiddlerbasher

From your photos that doesn't look like the EOS (elliptical) gearing. It just looks like ordinary gears so no special alignment issues, but bear in mind what the previous post said about wear patterns that may have developed. If you can't crank it something else is wrong :-\

gouthro

I have a feeling that it is "something else is wrong" because the reel, unfortunatly, has never been little used.  I will look at the pictures of assembly in one of the other threads and try to be very careful about how I put it back together.
g

gouthro

Hello again
Still trying to make this old reel work.

I wonder if you might know something about this.  If i have the terms right, when I try to ctank the r
Handle, it doesn't move if the rotor is engaged.  If i just turn the drive gear and the oscillating gear, It works.  That makes me think that the rotator gear should not be engaged.  I will post a photo:

gouthro

I noticed in the video on maintaining okuma reels that the rotor shaft, i think it is called, turns inside the spindle.  Mine doesn't and I am wondering whether this might be the problem.  I don't want to force it, however, in case this is not the case with this reel.  I will add a photo

philaroman

that's a spool shaft in a pinion gear...  looks badly scratched/gouged (probably bent, too) -- that's why it's stuck...  not worth restoring, even if possible, IMHO

gouthro

Thanks for the reply.  It may be the picture.  In reality I don't think it is gouged or scraped.  Not even bent i don't think.  But my question was whether the shaft is supposed to turn in the pinion gear?

philaroman

spool shaft must travel up/down/rotate freely inside the pinion w/ just enough space for lube, for the reel to work -- even slight undetectable deformity can get it stuck (but so can salt & petrified lube)

since it's just brass & steel, you can get fairly aggressive w/ penetrating oils, solvents & heat to separate them, but be gentle w/ gripping tools!!!

gouthro

Update.  I just came from the garage where I have the piece soaking in liquid wrench.  To my surprise it has loosened the spindle and it rotares!  All along I have been trying to line up those dots that don't exist on this reel.  Although you may have been right about a bent shaft.  It maybe slightly bent.  I am going to let it soak for awhile and try to reassemble it.  I will let you know how it goes.
G