Okuma model 503--Need Help

Started by gouthro, May 06, 2019, 02:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthos

Quote from: gouthro on May 09, 2019, 05:31:10 PM
Update.  I just came from the garage where I have the piece soaking in liquid wrench.  To my surprise it has loosened the spindle and it rotares!...I am going to let it soak for awhile and try to reassemble it...

The long soak will be the key. Cleaning off the corrosion/gunk that locked up the two parts and then applying marine grade grease will keep SW from seizing it up again.

The unshielded bearing in your pics also looks like it can use a soak and clean as well. Afterwards, pack it with marine grease. Everything in the gear case should get a coating of marine grease.

Donnyboat

Hi Gouthro, once you get the shaft out, get some very fine wet n dry cloth, maybe 2500, give the shaft a very light rub, also inside the pinion, try to hone it out just enough to remove the corrocion, then lube it, also roll the shaft along a flat table, should tell you if it is bent, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

gouthro

Thanks for the encouragement.  I'm slowly making my way when I get a chance.  I thought I had all the pieces marked but in putting it together i seem to have problems with the anti reverse.wonder if anyone knows how it should fit? ;D