Daiwa A-100RL, a light spinner

Started by festus, May 06, 2019, 08:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

This reel is probably too heavy nowadays to be considered ultralight, weighs 9.4 oz and has line capacities of 6/160 yd and 8/110 yd.  If this reel was manufactured today with graphite body, spool, and other non-metal components, yep, it would be ultralight.

This reel was VERY stiff straight out of the mailing box, so stiff, I refrained from turning the handle thinking maybe something inside would break.

This reel has the loop type oscillating slider.

Inside the housing wasn't that dirty.

We found the culprit, the old dried grease on the main gear had almost turned to stone.

As in many other economy model Daiwas from this time frame, this one didn't have the nut and lockwasher type fasteners for the rotor.  We have this type of pinion retainer.

Other than the pinion and main gear, nothing else was that dirty, so clean up was easy.

Using Superlube grease again, it's getting to be my favorite.

A major oil spill, lol, I only use one drop on the axle. 

I definitely got my money's worth with this one, shipping cost more than the reel, totaled less than 14 bucks.

festus

Schematic.

mo65

Good post buddy. I have a 130 just like it I posted on the "B" thread. I love the "loop" oscillator. It's a simple way to accomplish a task. So many reels go overboard on the oscillation circuit, and none of them work any better than that one right there.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

basto

Yes, I have a couple of Shakespeare 2400 series that have exact same occilation loop. They work fine.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

festus

A few more B-grade should arrive later this week, Zebco spinners, a Daiwa Millionaire baitcaster, a Shakespeare free spool baitcaster from the 1960s, and a couple more I've never heard of.  Maybe the Millionaire isn't considered B-grade, I've heard they're practically the same as an Abu.

About 35 years ago I bought an ultralight Shimano Mark I spinner still going strong.  It was serviced a few months ago, it also has the loop type oscillation system with rear drag.  Everybody has one of those big fish that got away stories.  One late evening, about 1989, a day or two before 4th of July we were shore fishing for bream, yellow perch, and small channel cats using gold aberdeen #4 hooks and nightcrawlers.  We'd decided to call it quits, so I threaded the remaining 4 or 5 big juicy nightcrawlers on the hook threw it out no more than 20' from the rocky bank, set my pole down, which was a 5' Eagle Claw Featherlight with the little Shimano I mentioned.  

We'd gathered our gear and already made one trip to the truck.  Something big hit, I fought it for at least 25-30 minutes.  Finally got a look at it, a big flathead cat at least 40-50 lbs, not a scar or flaw on him.  Not much I could do with him, he kept swimming in and out of a box culvert under the road which separated the slough into two bodies of water.  A couple times one of my fishing buddies crossed the road to the other side and ran the fish back toward me with a big stick. We didn't have a net or gaff, and the water dropped off considerably, too deep to go in after him.  It got dark and we didn't have a flashlight. He eventually bent the hook and got away. Since then I've caught some blue cats bigger than that flathead, but on 17 lb or stronger mono.  A couple years later TWRA went to the same slough and rescued and released a 102 lb lake sturgeon that had gotten stranded in some shallow water.  Very unlikely looking place to hold such big fish.  

mo65

Quote from: festus on May 06, 2019, 09:47:57 PM
A few more B-grade should arrive later this week, Zebco spinners, a Daiwa Millionaire baitcaster, a Shakespeare free spool baitcaster from the 1960s, and a couple more I've never heard of.  Maybe the Millionaire isn't considered B-grade, I've heard they're practically the same as an Abu.

As far as I can see, the only thing B-grade about those Millionaires is the going rate. I've had guys tell me Abu parts interchange...I haven't tried swapping...but they sure look like twins when you take them apart. Another fine reel flying under the radar.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

happyhooker

About 35 years ago I bought an ultralight Shimano Mark I spinner still going strong.

I have one of these Mark 1 "Quickfires" that I got from my Dad's tackle after he passed away.  With its non-metal body & trigger casting, it doesn't really fit my classic spinning reel criteria.  Having said that, the reel in-hand operates very cleanly & is a pleasure to use.  As with a lot of trigger casters, the AR ahead of the drive train takes the load off the gears, in this case at the expense of a backwards turn before the AR engages; maybe not a big deal with a UL reel, unless you get into some muscle like festus did.  At 6.8 oz., with line, it also confirms the thought that lightweight materials, like them or not, can be advantageous in making an UL reel, well, UL.  "Graphite-Titanium" material; maybe that means at least a decent if not great class of non-metallic construction (they make golf clubs, dentures and some other stuff out of it, for what it's worth).

Frank

festus

Quote from: happyhooker on May 07, 2019, 01:18:45 AM
About 35 years ago I bought an ultralight Shimano Mark I spinner still going strong.

I have one of these Mark 1 "Quickfires" that I got from my Dad's tackle after he passed away.  With its non-metal body & trigger casting, it doesn't really fit my classic spinning reel criteria.  Having said that, the reel in-hand operates very cleanly & is a pleasure to use.  As with a lot of trigger casters, the AR ahead of the drive train takes the load off the gears, in this case at the expense of a backwards turn before the AR engages; maybe not a big deal with a UL reel, unless you get into some muscle like festus did.  At 6.8 oz., with line, it also confirms the thought that lightweight materials, like them or not, can be advantageous in making an UL reel, well, UL.  "Graphite-Titanium" material; maybe that means at least a decent if not great class of non-metallic construction (they make golf clubs, dentures and some other stuff out of it, for what it's worth).

Frank
Those little Mark I are fine little reels for crappie fishing and chasing smallmouth and redeyes in rivers.  Not suited for 50 lb cats, BUT, if we'd had a net, we'd had that flathead.  I caught a 4 lb blue cat an hour or so before the big one hit. My two buddies were using much heavier tackle,  Goes to show, usually the big one hits the lightest outfit.  ::)

Midway Tommy

Well done, Chester!

Quote from: mo65 on May 06, 2019, 10:08:22 PM

As far as I can see, the only thing B-grade about those Millionaires is the going rate. I've had guys tell me Abu parts interchange...I haven't tried swapping...but they sure look like twins when you take them apart. Another fine reel flying under the radar.

Len Borgstrom's book ABU AND GARCIA, WHAT HAPPENED? has a neat story about ABU suing Daiwa over patent violations from the original Millionaire. He came to a meeting with the Daiwa lawyers with a totally disassembled Millionaire and a similar Ambassadeur; dumped all the parts on a table, stirred them up and then proceeded to make two perfectly functioning reels with the mixed parts. The lawyers walked out of the room and Daiwa changed the design of the Millionaire, a little bit.  ;) :D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

I'd a loved seeing that two for two reel construction act in front of a jury.  Cha-ching!

Frank