South Bend Classic 935

Started by xjchad, May 06, 2019, 08:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

After reading Mo's post on the 925, I was reminded that I had a 935 model in the bin that I had picked up awhile ago and forgotten about.  Since I'd sold my Slammer 360 I was in need of anther light duty surf reel and this seemed like it would fit the bill.  After going through it, I think it'll be even better than the Penn  :o  If that doesn't raise some eyebrows, I'll also say that I like this model better than the couple of Quicks I've rebuilt  :o :o (Take this all with a grain of salt because I have far less experience than most of you hear and probably don't know what I'm talking about  :D )

So here's the reel as I received it.  In very nice shape to begin with and very smooth.

Simple, strong frame and components.

Single bearing on the pinion that's sealed on the rotor side (great for surf conditions).

All the critical parts seem to be stainless, very few plastic parts.  AR is on the pinion. 

Like Mo, I made some CF discs to replace the felt ones.  The 3 stack should put out plenty of drag.

Finished it off the best way I know how with one of Sal's custom knobs.

Can't wait to spool it up with some 30 lb. braid and hit the surf!

This reel is so smooth and feels very strong without being too heavy.  The AR is very quiet compared to one's I've used that are on the main gear (although personally I enjoy the sound of the ratcheting dog).
Thanks for your inspiration Mo and for the beautiful knob Sal!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

mo65

Great work Chad! These reels are fantastic, your assessment is dead on. Check the spring pressure on the AR. That spring behind the pawl may need a tweak. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

You got a good one, Chad. IMHO they're right up there with the Quicks and Shakes Royal Maroons, but lighter, which is even better.  And I wouldn't doubt they're better than the Penns.

philaroman

please post a pic after spool-up -- would love to see a close-up of the line lay w/ 30# braid
please guesstimate how likely skinny braid may be to sneak under the spool at highest point
thank you

xjchad

Quote from: philaroman on May 06, 2019, 11:11:24 PM
please post a pic after spool-up -- would love to see a close-up of the line lay w/ 30# braid
please guesstimate how likely skinny braid may be to sneak under the spool at highest point
thank you

Hope to get it spooled up and try it this week.  I'll definitely follow up for you.
If it doesn't have good results, I guess I'll have to buy a spool of mono....
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Darin Crofton

Fantastic post, Chad, reel turned out great buddy!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

happyhooker

Interesting; impressive looking reel.  A lot of plus power on the stat monitor.  The more I think about it, having the AR ahead of the gear train seems like a very positive point.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Those SB Classics were nice sleepers    ;) ,until you guys uncovered them, that is.    ;D

You should like it, Chad.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

basto

Did they come in right hand wind?
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

mo65

Quote from: basto on May 07, 2019, 05:33:59 AM

I haven't seen any Greg.

Quote from: Midway Tommy on May 07, 2019, 04:16:39 AM
Those SB Classics were nice sleepers    ;) ,until you guys uncovered them, that is.    ;D

It's all a clever ploy Tommy. While the collectors are scrambling to hoard up all these "new grails" maybe we can swoop in and get a Penn 716z or a Cardinal 3 on the cheap.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mo65 on May 07, 2019, 01:44:02 PM
Quote from: basto on May 07, 2019, 05:33:59 AM

I haven't seen any Greg.

Quote from: Midway Tommy on May 07, 2019, 04:16:39 AM

It's all a clever ploy Tommy. While the collectors are scrambling to hoard up all these "new grails" maybe we can swoop in and get a Penn 716z or a Cardinal 3 on the cheap.

Greg, No.

Mike, SHHHHH!  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Yeah...let me know how that works out...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

This makes 7 or 8 threads for South Bend spinning reels in the last 5-6 weeks, about time for a South Bend category of its own.  There are more South Bend reels out there l plan on buying whenever they become available, and I'll be sure to share info and pics.

Alto Mare

I've forgotten about that knob Chad :) and yes it does look good on that reel.
Great job on the 935, it appears to be a very well made reel.
Thanks for showing it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bhale1

cool old reel Chad, simple design, easy to maintain, and now even better with a much better handle knob!
Brett