Bodega Bay Rock Cod Fishing

Started by Crab Pot, May 07, 2019, 01:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

Took off out of Bodega Bay Saturday morning and headed north.

It was really strange being the only boat at the ramp on a Saturday but we were the only ones there.

Once on the water we had a hour and a half boat ride to our honey hole.

Purple and black were the magic colors.

Fished with my brand new Okuma Komodo KDS-463P and my Phenix M1 rod. First decent down I get a rod bending hit and it was on all day.

First retrieve I have a massive Ling Cod on the fly and a 6 pound Gopher on the jig. The Ling was actually a a hitch hiker with a small Olive Cod deep down it's throat. Nice start to the day, the Ling went 19 pounds and won we $55 for our 3 boat pool.

Rest of the day was fast and furious, we had 4 limits by noon.

Other than winning the pool the best part was we caught 2 Golden Eye Cod which I haven't seen in years. We of course released the Golden's.

One thing that saved the day was the use of our descender to return the smaller fish. If you don't have one get one, worth every penny.

To top it off we got a visit from a pod of Killer Whales and saw 2 Humpbacks breach.

Great day.

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Crab Pot

More Photos.

steelfish

The Baja Guy

Benni3

You really got the big one's,,,,,, :D and the rest,,,, :o great job man,,,,,, ;D

Swami805

Nice golden eye, those are big ones! A 6 pound gopher cod? That's huge! That's some good rockfishing
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Maxed Out

Looks like loads of fun. Nice eating ling too !!

How much weight did it take to descend the Golden's ?? Which descender are you using ??

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

akfish

Good fish! But I have a couple questions: Are Goldeneye the same thing as the Yelloweye we have up here in Alaska? And what is a Gopher cod?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Steve-O

Great pics and fishing story, Crab Pot!

Thanks for sharing! I can almost taste the Fish Tacos....yum!

Crab Pot

QuoteHow much weight did it take to descend the Golden's ?? Which descender are you using ??/quote]

Took 5 pounds to get the bigger Golden Eye (in the picture) to the bottom. I'm not sure which brand release we had but I'll find out.

QuoteAre Goldeneye the same thing as the Yellow Eye we have up here in Alaska? And what is a Gopher cod?/quote]

I'm not sure about the Golden Eye/Yellow Eye connection. The Gopher Cod is a subspecies but a close cousin to the Copper Cod. It's a golden striped brown color with a white background.

Great eating too.

Crab Pot

scrinch