Line suggestions for narrowed 113H YTS

Started by Brewcrafter, May 08, 2019, 04:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewcrafter

I just completed turning a normal 113H into a narrowed YTS with a Tiberon kit, and am getting ready to spool it.  And now I'm unsure of my plan.  My first thought was 60#JB1 hollow.  I like hollow braid, am reasonably good at and have the tools for splicing, and I have always felt that "hey, if the action is hot and I have to re-rig my topshot instead of grabbing another pole, I can tie an FG or RP knot quickly in hollow the same as with solid braid".  But I also realize that solid has a much smaller diameter than hollow, so how much capacity am I giving up? (and does it matter in the practical sense?  After all, even with the 4:1 gear I installed this is still a single speed).  And I know that I hear a lot of buzz with people swearing by the Power Pro Max Quatro specifically for it's smaller diameter/greater capacity, but usually part of the conversation involves using any of the modern generation of small 2 speeds. 

SoCalAngler

It kind of depends on how your going to use the reel when you talk rigging.

I have a 113HN and use it as a backup 40 lb test reel. I put 300 yards of 60 lb solid braid and got around 100 yards of 40 lb mono on top.
I like long topshots and 400 yards of line in plenty for my use. By going with the 60 lb braid I could always bump that reel to 50 lb toppers if needed.

So unless you need a lot more braid on your reel you could go with MQ but even with 60 lb JB you can get a whole lot of braid on it especially if you use shorter topshots.

I would imagine you could get 600 yards of the JB on that reel with a shorter topshot, do you need more than that?

thorhammer

At that diameter line, you can tie a surgeon loop to double soild braid and double uni-knot to topshot quickly and and have a very castable knot- I use this arramgement up to 200lb PP braid with 130 topshot and it has worked. just make sure your loops are in order on the mono when you cinch down.

MarkT

I used mine for yoyo with 40# and just loaded it with a full 1/4# spool of 40# BigGame... 370 yds.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Ron Jones

I do the same thing as SoCalAnger. 60# braid under 40 or 50 mono / floro. Either will work, I like it best with 50# floro unless the fish are line shy.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Brewcrafter

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback!  I shipped the reel off Monday to Alan and The Boss reached out alleviated my concerns about capacity - I'm a relative newcomer to this braid game and still get fooled by how much line you can on a reel vs. the old Dacron or Mono.  Going to be going with 80# hollow and I can change out topshots as I see fit whether I am dropshotting yellows off the bottom, flylining a 'dine to finicky bluefin, or cranking some jigs.  I'm really excited to pack this reel along on a trip I have coming up in June.  Now just need to figure out what rod to pair it with...

Keta

80# gives you more options but for my use, 600'-800' deep Pacific halibut, 60# is far better.  We do not cast in this fishery so 3'-10' 50# topshots work well.  I have killed halibut up to 160# and cut loose fish well over 200# using 50# mono topshots. 

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

80 pound hollow, 33 yard topshot of 50 or 60# mono, 15 pounds of drag.  tossin' iron!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

That is how I set up my Torque 40NLD2 that I put on the 8-1/2' rod you delivered last week for the same use.  The only difference is I use a much shorter L-2-L topshot.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

None other than the original Tank is a YTS, and Dominick has landed marlin on it, and I think one of the Ohana around Oz or New Zealand (Chris maybe? ) might've gotten a sword on it, so you shoudnt sweat capacity for your application.

SoCalAngler

With all due respect the the YTS was developed way before the so called "Tank " was even thought about.

A ProGear 545, then the 454 and then the YTS

Ron Jones

With all due respect, the Yellowtail Special was created long before Pro-Gear started making kits and very long before they started making reels. Carl Newell figured out that a 66 spool would be dandy on a 113H, especially with a 4:1 gear ratio. As it happens, the original Tank, one of the most famous single reels at least on the West Coast, was made with a Tiburon kit that was the size of a 66 spool on a 113H, called the Yellowtail Special.
Just trying to keep things straight.
Something created here is a 66 spool on a 113, we call it the Grouper Special. Not to insinuate that the old Pro Gears aren't great, but they were based on work that came long before them.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

MarkT

Yeah well, If I see farther it's because I stand on the shoulders of giants.  No one was first here, someone always provided inspiration.   My 545 is tanked out with a ss double dog bridge, ss sleeve, 7 stack drag, power handle and 400 yds of spectra with whatever top shot I feel like... and it stays home on date night because one of the other shiny 2-speeds catches my eye.

A 'real' YTS is a narrowed 113h. The ProGear YTS and the Penn Baja Special are both smaller reels holding 300 yds of 40#.  The ProGear 440 and 454/YTS came out at the same time.  The later ones had a clicker which is nice!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!