what can be dangerous?

Started by hafnor, October 14, 2011, 12:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetroFail

All Chemicals have whats know as a materials safety data sheet, MSDS, for short.
if you are worried about your safety with any product, look up the MSDS.
it will give you a breakdown of what to do if you are exposed, how much is safe, the symtoms of poisoning etc.

i'm a post grad molecular biologist and i have to read these when ever i work with a chemical that im not familiar with and i work with some ridiculously poisonous chemicals.

Im not 100% certain but i think its a requirement for manufacturers to issue an MSDS on a product.

just google MSDS *product name* or *chemical name* an you should get the information you need.

some of the things on those sheets are difficult to understand, but the just of it should be there

Keta

Quote from: MetroFail on September 18, 2012, 12:30:19 PM
Im not 100% certain but i think its a requirement for manufacturers to issue an MSDS on a product.

Yes they are legally required to provide MSDS for their products, companies are also required to keep one for every product they use on file.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

from a medical management point of view, i have found that the material safety data sheets are the the most worthless documents ever written!   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bluefish69

I retired from a NYC Hospital in the Engineering Dept. We had pound of MSDS Sheets for everthing. There were 5 different chemicals just for the Cooling Towers.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

LTM

Redsetta, Keta, All,

Justin, thanx for the link to the pocket guide (good info).  Lee and others; those MSDS are as necessary as the products they describe.  Safety is paramount while fishing and in all repair work.

Leo

Keta

Quote from: alantani on September 20, 2012, 02:16:07 AM
from a medical management point of view, i have found that the material safety data sheets are the the most worthless documents ever written!   :-\

They are more for transportation and the end user but from my experience few end users bother to use them.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

ez2cdave

Well, I guess I'll revive this thread by posting another chemical I use that is FANTASTIC, but I'm kinda "SCARED" of it . . .

It's called "PB BLASTER" .

http://www.blastercorp.com/

I attached the MSDS below . . .

Alto Mare

That stuff is nasty, I mentioned this about four years ago. That's one product I will never use again.
This is what I've been using and it will be very hard for me to give it up:
http://www.amazon.com/Paslode-Degreaser-For-Cordless-Tools/dp/B004BGBB5W/ref=pd_sim_469_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0XJM8XSJ15A5WMJK4NZH

Try it on bearings, you'll be amazed.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 06, 2015, 10:16:59 PM
That stuff is nasty, I mentioned this about four years ago. That's one product I will never use again.
This is what I've been using and it will be very hard for me to give it up:
http://www.amazon.com/Paslode-Degreaser-For-Cordless-Tools/dp/B004BGBB5W/ref=pd_sim_469_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0XJM8XSJ15A5WMJK4NZH

Try it on bearings, you'll be amazed.

Sal

Sal,

Thanks, I'll check it out . . .

Tight Lines !!!

foakes

Possibly two of the most dangerous things around a reel shop, at least for me --

Always wear eye protection when using the Dremel --

And always wear a good pair of leather gloves when using the line winder -- especially the medium or heavy duty one when lining braid or really any type of mono.

And don't leave rags around that have had thinner, solvent, or other flammable spirits on them.

Get them outside, and into a metal pail, or let them dry out on rocks.

Spontaneous combustion happens spontaneously.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

OldSchool

With carbon fibre many people like to make upgrades or freshen up an old favourite but it should be known that some reels up to as late as the 80's had asbestos drag washers, this could pose as a potentially lethal as a used drag has potential to be dusted.

handi2

Alan is right on about the grease smell. The shop stinks of smells when I first go in.

As of now I don't use anything...
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

Quote from: handi2 on June 19, 2015, 02:21:16 PM
Alan is right on about the grease smell. The shop stinks of smells when I first go in.

I hate those reels that have been serviced by rednecks or guys that dont have reach of proper reel grease, I sometimes got reels that have car grease on it really sticky, tacky and smelly and my room keep smelling like a grease monky shop and the odor of cheap grease its the worst to go away even after many times washing hands
The Baja Guy

foakes

Quote from: steelfish on June 19, 2015, 04:41:04 PM
Quote from: handi2 on June 19, 2015, 02:21:16 PM

I hate those reels that have been serviced by rednecks or guys that dont have reach of proper reel grease, I sometimes got reels that have car grease on it really sticky, tacky and smelly and my room keep smelling like a grease monky shop and the odor of cheap grease its the worst to go away even after many times washing hands

If a reel has all of that black sticky grease in it -- and is going to take a lot of extra work, make a mess of my equipment, ruin some brushes and take a lot of cleaning chemicals -- they get charged extra.

If, after explaining to them about using the proper lubricants -- then it still comes back in a year or two wih the same old cheap cruddy lube -- I just tell them that I am too busy for their types of reels at this time.

For me, they get (1) good chance to lube properly in between services -- I even give them the lube.  If it is not paid attention to or heeded -- they are advised to take their reels to Bryan.

Have only had 2 clients over the years who were this dense.

The rest are happy to either let me do everything on their reels -- or they do it right.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelfish

Quote from: Reel 224 on June 19, 2015, 05:01:17 PM

My father was a mechanic and fed our family well, but his hands and clothes always smelled of gasoline and grease

yep, I understand that very well, I know that feeling, my father was a technitian on tv and radios when they dont have USB, or any digiltal electronic, just transistots, bulbs, etc.
and I just loved to smell when he was soldering the bulbs on the green plates on the shop

Quote from: foakes on June 19, 2015, 05:12:34 PM
If a reel has all of that black sticky grease in it -- and is going to take a lot of extra work, make a mess of my equipment, ruin some brushes and take a lot of cleaning chemicals -- they get charged extra.

I will start doing that, I lost my favorite working brush teeth, two long hair brushes, half can of carb cleaner, etc, etc, and wife made me sleep on the couch that night for the smell LOL

The Baja Guy