Omilu | Blue Fin Trevally | Caranax melampygus

Started by wailua boy, May 09, 2019, 03:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wailua boy

This one sliced my by bait as usual but I got him
on the second strike, hooked in about 3ft of water and actually saw the strikes.

Gfish

Ran into some Omilu's on the reef. 2 for 3 and then the Needlefish started grabing the jig. Check out the blue on the fins. Kinda like the one in wailua boy's last picture. She had eggs in her, pre-spawn? or on the process? Had several unidentified bait fish in the gut, so probably gearing up for the spawn. Hard fightin indeed! Don't think I could land a 5 lb'er on my light rig. This'n probably 1 - 2 lbs.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Nice.  The perfect size for eating.  The blue ones don't seem to have a lot of iodine taste like the white ones.

We don't have a lot of kaku in our neighborhood.  Every once in a while one will take up residence in a spot and will cut you off every time you pass that spot until you realize it is kaku.

-steve

wailua boy

Quote from: Gfish on July 06, 2019, 03:43:50 AM
Ran into some Omilu's on the reef. 2 for 3 and then the Needlefish started grabing the jig. Check out the blue on the fins. Kinda like the one in wailua boy's last picture. She had eggs in her, pre-spawn? or on the process? Had several unidentified bait fish in the gut, so probably gearing up for the spawn. Hard fightin indeed! Don't think I could land a 5 lb'er on my light rig. This'n probably 1 - 2 lbs.

Nice catch and looks like you'll eat tonight.

Benni3

Catching them on light tackle looks like alot of fun,,,,, ;D

wailua boy

Smaller size and caught and released on 10lb mono.