What lure is this anyways?

Started by Reel Newbie, May 09, 2019, 09:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Newbie

Do any of you guys know what this is? Bought it in a tackle box at a yard sale. It weights at least 2 ounces and is a resin type material surrounding some metal. The bottom has the numbers 88m24.

Maxed Out

I'm not an expert, but my guess is ice fishing lure because the eyelet is on top of the head

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

foakes

Looks like the bait may be a MiirrOlure —

These were made by L&S.

At least that is my guess — not an expert here either.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel Newbie

The lure is about 5 inches long without the hook, almost 7 with it

Fishy247

I'm with Fred. Looks like a mirrolure to me. It should float or be suspending. Cast it out and twitch it back in a walk the dog type of pattern.

conchydong

Mirrolure for sure. Very popular for Snook and other fishies in Florida

wfjord

It's the first Mirrolure I've seen with one treble.

I have a bunch older ones I bought when I lived in Florida, some with the eyelet on the tip of the nose and others with it on top, but all with two trebles.

Reel Newbie

Is it worth anything? It's too old for me to want to fish it, don't think they make them anymore

steelfish

Quote from: Reel Newbie on May 10, 2019, 04:28:38 PM
Is it worth anything?

not an expert but it didnt look too old to "worth" or have much collective value other than the one you want to give it saving it in you man cave, office or use it as keychain, I would change the trebble and and leave it along an old reel or rod in your show room or cabinet
The Baja Guy

oc1

It has the old model numbering system so it could be as old as 70 years.  I used to know how to interpret the model numbers but have forgotten.  The last two digits are the color pattern.  The first two digits may be size and the middle letter running depth..... or something like that.
-steve

whalebreath

Mirrolure are good baits still as effective and reasonably priced today as ever.

https://www.shopmirrolure.com/

conchydong

Quote from: whalebreath on May 10, 2019, 08:48:19 PM
Mirrolure are good baits still as effective and reasonably priced today as ever.

https://www.shopmirrolure.com/
Reading that link, I didn't realize that mirrolure owns the rights to Island Lures which are a staple for offshore trolling in many areas. interesting.