Bail stop height?

Started by basenjib123, May 10, 2019, 03:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basenjib123

I'm just getting into these bigger reels that have bail stops.  Question..does the angle of the bail (determined by bail stop height, I presume) ..anyhow does bail stop height effect line lay?  Thanks, Joe.

RowdyW

Line lay is affected by the travel of the spool up and down. If your line is stacking up to much at the top of the spool you probably have to add 1 or 2 shims under the spool. If the line is stacking up to much at the bottom of the spool then you will have to remove shims from under the spool. It's a trial and error thing. The bail wire is there to guide the line to the line roller which guides the line to the spool.        Rudy

Midway Tommy

If the bail arm is bent or positioned at an incorrect angle it can absolutely effect line lay. So can excessive play in the main shaft. The first and most important step is to make sure the bail arm is resting in the correct position so that the line guide or roller is functioning at its maximum efficiency. Once you have those in the correct position and operating properly you can make minor adjustments with shims under the spool, and sometimes even between the rotor and body. I try to avoid shims under the spool wherever possible. I have over twenty reels setup that I regularly fish with and not one of them has a shim under the spool.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

The axis of the line roller should be square to the spool.
-steve

basenjib123