Saltist/Saltiga two speed push button fix for smooth gear changes

Started by reelspeedsouth, May 17, 2019, 12:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelspeedsouth

If you have a sticky two speed diawa Lever drag, or you can only get it to stay in high gear but won't shift down, this fix restores the puch button to full functionality but also makes the push button smooth and easy to push.  Check this against the Schematic posted...

There is a threaded screw #44 and with a hole drilled under the head.  Inserted in that hole is a perfectly bent piece of hard wire that comes from the factory.  The screw through spring  #43 into the top of #33 metal T that controls the change of hi-gear/low gear.  The heavy duty spring

Is located right under the wire that is inserted thru the drilled hole under the screw head of #44.  So the wire bend pushes down on the spring which subsequently pushes on the T #33.  So The handle push button mechanism for the two speed works in and out using this set-up.  This changes the gears.

So. The push button sticking or only staying in Hi-gear was not working properly and that I believe was do to the wire that is set at the factory.  I suspect a lot of complaints about the push button is due to this very poor design???

Anyway I tried to bend the wire,  no matter what I did, I could not get it to push down and lock the tee #33 into the gears properly.  

The schematic does not give you a clue in china as to what's going on inside shaft #32.

So I got an idea. Later in the day I took it apart " again" and removed that wire completely.  I subsequently went through my junk drawers of parts and I found a round washer that was a tad thick and it slipped over the screw #44 and pushed it down on to the head.  This disregards the wire design and drilling under the head for the wire..  
so then I dropped the screw #44 down the shaft  #32 with the washer on the screw head, which its diameter was perfect in width to fit down the shaft #32 and fit down on to the top of spring #43.....  

So the washer arrangement backs up to the screw head and is wide enough it pushes down  on the spring #43 but will not slip thru the spring because of the outside diameter of the washer that fully engages the spring..

I subsequently put the push button brass barrel #64 and spring #63 on top and screwed in the handle nut #76 and push button assembly #78.

I assembled the 2-speed mechanism that stacks on the handle and bang it worked.  Well without putting the whole thing back together I didn't know if it would skip or something.  But low and behold the darn thing works like new.  I did about 20 or more gear changes, and it locks in perfect and releases to the high speed perfect.  Better than that the push button felt like a new push and release.  This is far superior to the wire design and works every bit as good or better!!!!

This works so good that should I ever run into a sticky button not changing gears properly I will use the washer and get rid of the wire altogether!  It's simple and it works!  

https://schematics.mikesreelrepair.com/albums/userpics/10001/STTLD40-2SPD-LD50-2SPD.pdf

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

exp2000