SF Bay Halibut Redemption

Started by Crab Pot, May 11, 2019, 03:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

Launched today out of Richmond with a plan to put 9 Halibut in the box and with any luck one of the Ghost White Sea Bass we were hearing as a by-catch.

Went over to J & P at Pier 47 and took on a half scoop of 3-5 inch anchovies for $30, very lively bait and headed towards the Berkeley flats.

While on our way to the flats we took notice the whole commercial fleet was on the drift from the west side of Treasure Island to the furthest northern point so we set out drift.

After numerous shaker Stripers I decided to drift the north side of the island and was rewarded with a 24" sStriper.

Second drift a 18 pound flat fish.

Only keepers for the whole day but it was fun.

Got blown off around 1300 and man was it a wet ride home.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Crab Pot

My photos didn't stick...

Dominick

You got lucky on the wind.  Usually I head in at noon to avoid the wet ride.  Wind blown sea spray is icy cold.  Nice catch.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Fishy247

Crab Pot

Forgot to mention there is a rumor that White Sea Bass are in the Bay.

I thought I had one for a few minutes, till I got it up to the boat.

60 pound class Ray...

It was a fun fight though on light gear.

Charter boats were crushing the Stripers all around us, mainly shakers. Only saw one other Halibut caught yesterday and it was a shaker.

Fishy247

It's not a rumor. The California Dawn got 6 or 7 of them the other day. Apparently they've been marking schools lately that just haven't wanted to bite. I think there's a resident population that comes into the bay in the springtime now. If they are anything like their SoCal brethren, they should bite late this next week and early next week around the full moon!

I know the feeling about the ray. The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago off Santa Cruz. Visions of seabass dancing through your head, then POOF! Mud marlin! Lots of fun to pull on though!

Gfish

Fun and fruitful!
Those are great pictures crab pot.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Benni3

Very nice fishing,,,,,I would like to fish off that bridge,,,,, ;D