alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Custom knobs
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
June 25, 2019, 11:49:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Custom knobs  (Read 14661 times)
broadway
Sensei

Broadway Dom, New York City

« Reply #270 on: March 29, 2019, 01:49:34 AM »

Rollie does great work! Looks real nice, John!
Enjoy her,
Dom
Darin Crofton
Tampa, FL Photographer
Firearms Group

Work is for people who don't fish!

« Reply #271 on: April 06, 2019, 03:32:00 PM »

Thank you for fixing my reel, Sal, you're straight up awesome, and the knob is amazing artwork brother!!!

* IMG-0944.JPG (3646.72 KB, 3024x3940 - viewed 22 times.)

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?
broadway
Sensei

« Reply #272 on: April 06, 2019, 06:51:33 PM »

Sal, Is there anything you can't do?  That's a sick grasp! You've come a log way in a short time with these acrylic knobs.
Really cool stuff, pal
Dom
xjchad
Sensei

« Reply #273 on: May 07, 2019, 06:55:14 AM »

Another Sal's beauties on my SB 935!

Husband, Father, Fisherman
broadway
Sensei

« Reply #274 on: May 07, 2019, 06:58:18 PM »

Classic style... very hearty looking too.
I'm sure you'll enjoy that one on there as opposed to the original.
Tightlines,
Dom
milne

« Reply #275 on: May 08, 2019, 01:21:38 AM »

I missed these posts,
    But Wow, those handles are totally mind blowing !
Sal, that is a true craftsman at work there for sure.
Darin, yours is absolutely sick !   ( heard a young fella say that the other day, thought he was coming down with an illness, but no, it's suppose to describe something that's brilliant !!)    Grin

Col
kmstorm64
Firearms Group

« Reply #276 on: May 17, 2019, 06:10:36 AM »

Gentlemen    please    be careful   with  the  fumes  from   any liquid   plastics  or    even   super  glue. Read the  MSDS  for  your material  and be  afraid  very afraid They  are  toxic  as h---,  and they can  kill   you.
Maybe the Boss   can  chime in    with the dangers involved  as hes  got more  experience    with this  stuff  but i  can  tell  you from personal  experience   the  side effects  aint  pretty. 
Just sayin
Thanks for the warning Bill Wink. there are other things that some do around here that could hurt you more, a couple of them are from grinding carbon fiber and plates on an older reel.
I'm personally involved with hazardous material almost daily and try my best to deal with them. Dust from cement will also get you, if you read the warning label.
Here is the safety sheet for the Acrylic:
http://lucitepartners.com/external/acryww55.nsf/ByCountryWEB/78CE0D1ED30CA5CB80257CE7004F73A0/$File/GHS_LUCITE_ACRYLIC_RESIN_FOR_CASTING_AND_EMBEDMENT(GHS_-_US)-USA_(ENGLISH).PDF

Besides the warning, do you like my handle knob? Smiley

Grin  I have turned a few wooden knobs .  The wood is free ,so i can practice often .
 I have looked into the casting part , Like you said it can get expensive and you never know what you are going to get.
  If i do try the plastics , i think i will try the colored cast acrylic or the cast swirl acrylic rods first .
   I think when you start with these you have a better idea of what you going to get.
    I should talk to some of the local pen builders ,they might be most helpful .       joe

I haven't seen acrylic in a pre made swirl pattern, could you post a pic of where they sell it? not that I would buy it, just curious.
I like to create my own mix and try to write my formula down so I could try to copy.
I have approximately 30 color pigments in powder form and about  25 in liquid.
Even though you might see 1 colors on some or 3 on others, they usually have 5 to 8 colors.
I really enjoy working with this stuff, but I do it outdoors and still wear a mask.

Sal

Sal,

I think I have seen some decorative acrylic in wood shops for people who turn down their own writing pens. The blanks are not huge maybe 1"x1"x6" give or take.

Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!
Alto Mare

Southeastern Pennsylvania

« Reply #277 on: May 17, 2019, 11:37:55 AM »

Thanks Kmstorm, yes I have seen those. My blanks need to be at least  1.5" in diameter .

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: