ABU 5500C3 2 Speed

Started by hurt locker, August 28, 2016, 10:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurt locker

When I drift using big floats on Lake Erie for Channel Cats, I need a fast retrieve to take up the slack and then a more powerful retrieve when the circle hook gets set. The 5500C3 2 speed fits both. I acquired a set of them and they worked ok but the drags were jerky even with braid on them. Time to take them apart on see what was inside. Very different than the normal 5500C3 with there being many more parts. 2 drive gears and a small set of drag plates and a larger set(2 in each set). The larger set was just a bit smaller than a 6-320 . Had to grind just a little off. There also was a small steel pin that hides under the top drive gear that you need a small crescent and the handle to jiggle it loose, after you take the top gear off. Here is a pic of everything in the order it was removed.

Replaced the small drag disc under the big drive gear with an under gear piece from a Daiwa 27SH(looks like might be Delrin) and the next one with a 6-895 and the 2 larger ones were cut down 6-320's.

Overall the drag is much better now with using 40LB Stealth braid.  Still could use some improvement using mono though. That little dot to the left of the one larger drag plate is the small steel pin.

hurt locker

Guess I should explain a few things about this reel. It is an automatic 2 speed. If you back the small drag circle off it will stay in 3.8/1 gear ratio and if you tighten it down on the star it will be in 6/1 and shift down automatically when it feels any pull on the line, the handle will slip forward just a little and the 3.8/1 will engage. Don't ask me how it does it because I haven't figured that part out yet. If anyone can explain, I will sure appreciate it. Thanks.

Rancanfish

This reel has been discussed a few times here (and will be again  :D ), but I have never figured out a good use for it for me. 

Mine is the 6500 2 speed.  Beautiful shelf jockey for me.  Maybe for salmon mooching....

John Tuttle and Bryan know how it works,  and how to make it work when it won't.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

mo65

Very cool reel hurt locker! I wish that pic of the parts was clearer so I could see the metal drag washer.(I believe Abu Garcia calls it the pressure plate) On some of my Ambassadeurs that part is plated...and the plating likes to fall off in spots...leaving a rough surface. Smoothing that part's surface made my drag a lot smoother.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bryan Young

I can't figure it out either. I know how it works by theory but when i open the reel up I get confused.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

hurt locker

Thanks for replying. I missed that other thread. I apologize.

Rancanfish

No apologies needed here.  Free and loose works. 

The search engine here works pretty good but some threads get buried pretty deep sometimes.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

thorhammer

I have a red 8000 two-speed that I had a guy "service".....didn't work when it came back....that was before I found this site. I couldn't cipher it out so I sent it the Boss himself; it casts like a big rocket and works flawlessly. Cool reel. Don't ask me what I use it for. I really don't know....

John 

Robert Janssen

Yes, i just thought it was an unusual coincidence,  since i had just updated that other thread a few days ago.

Jocool

I know this is an old thread, but I've recently been messing with one of these reels and looked for information. This is some that I found.

Davy Smith
It's like it's larger and older brothers, the 8, 9, and 10000 models. When you have a fish on, the reel will drop down to the lower gear, if it rushes you, it will change back up to the higher gear. The point at which it changes gear is governed by the star drag setting. If brake pressure is on max, it will take more pressure to make the reel change down to low gear.

Dave Brown
Slightly different than the bigger reels in that it has a preset wheel that allows you to decide where the drop down up jump up in gear ratio occurs that's the top wheel , it's also different in that it uses a third offset gear to keep the two main gears in motion .