Who is the authority on repairing/hot rodding 5500 C3 2 Speeds?

Started by Matt300ZXT, May 28, 2019, 09:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt300ZXT

I found the Abu forum! I kept looking for Abu Garcia and couldn't find it.  Saw all the other brands and was curious...then I noticed Amabassadeur lol

Anywho, I posted this on another subsection before I noticed this section.  I picked up a 5500 C3 2 Speed the other day from a local vintage/antique shop and looking for a guy/shop who is familiar with these to fix it/hot rod it.  It felt a little sloppy right out of the box, or at least compared to my new, 0 miles 6500 C3.  Anyways, I figured maybe it just needed cleaned and greased so I followed the video on Youtube on cleaning/lubing a 6500 C3 and it's very similar.  At least so much so that I was able to take it apart and put it back together having never disassembled a reel before.  Even after cleaning (wasn't really dirty) and applying fresh grease, it still feels the same.  Also, just strung up on a spare rod, I can pull the line out easily for several inches which I guess is due to the no instant anti reverse feature, but even after it hits the wall of drag, with the drag wheel all the way tight, it still pulls out without a whole lot of effort.  When I was in there, I didn't take the drag washers and all that out, I left them so I didn't mess something up, but with my extremely limited knowledge of all this stuff, they did look like they may be worn and in need of replacing. 

I'm looking for someone in the States that I can ship it to that will be able to check everything out, find worn out parts that can order the correct parts to put back in, and install new drag washers and maybe even some of those fancy new bearings I've been seeing people put in for smoother performance.  Who do you guys recommend?

Robert Janssen

It is a little hard to see exactly what might be wrong when you say it felt a little sloppy.

When you took it apart, did you happen to notice / pay attention to a very small, very thin, conical spring that resides on top of the two small differential gears? It can easily become lost, or stick to the inside of the sideplate when you take it off. It is absolutely vital to the reel's function.

Has anyone else been messing around in the reel before you?

Have you seen this thread?   https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3927.0

Spectra line slipping on spool?

Where are you?

Matt300ZXT

I do remember seeing the spring in there.  I made sure it went right back where it came from in the proper orientation.  I don't know if anyone else has been in there.  I do recall when I took it apart, the plastic 2 level gear that goes on the side of the spool opposite of the brakes wasn't securely seated, though, when I put it back together it did seem to snap into place and hold better.  Maybe the tabs that hold it to the spool securely are a little worn. 

I did see that thread and looked through it, but I think it'll be best to send it to a shop and have them inspect everything, make sure something isn't worn and out of spec, something I wouldn't have the experience to notice.  Maybe some new drag washers and Boca bearings will make it run better than new.  The only reel shops I've found while briefly looking are Mikes Reel Repair (though I don't want to send it to Canada if I can find someone else), Mats Reel Repair in Wisconsin, and some guy in Florida on Hookless.com but he said he doesn't do reel repairs anymore. 

Robert Janssen

Yes, perhaps that would be wise.
It seems like Bryan is into them. Ask him if he would be willing.

Bryan Young

I thought I had responded to you.

I've done quite a few repairs/refirbish of the C3 2 speeds, but parts are very limited or non-existant. 

Note that these reels really didn't have much drag stopping power.  You essentially have 2 drag washers, one under the main gear and another in the main gear.  If you count the drag washer under the main gear as a bearing , you only have one drag surface you are working with, and therefore, 3-5# of drag.  My experience from my reels is that I have 4-6# of drag, but I don't believe you should be fishing this reel above that because the 2 speed mechanism brass parts are easily damaged when banged or pressure is placed upon a stainless steel pin.  The sliding  groove in the inner gear sleeve tends to mushroom under pressure by the alignment pin.  This mushrooming prevents the outer gear sleeve from moving (binds) and you loose one of the drag surfaces, which reduces to probably 1# or less.

I can help.  Please send me a PM if you don't mind sending the reel to California.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

This is the most important spring that Doc Janssen is talking about.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Matt300ZXT

Oooooh, it's low on drag just by design huh? Maybe that's why it feels weaker to me than I'm used to.  I thought I only saw 2 felt washers in there when I had it apart.  I always see more in kits for other reels.  Perhaps I just need to order new drag washers and replace them along with the bearings for good measure and a new spring just for the heck of it if they're still available.

Robert Janssen

Not really... all four of the drag washers are in fact in use as line is being pulled off the spool.

There was a big bla-bla-bla-whole-lotta-talking debate on another forum a long time ago, about how much drag one of these can make, so i put it to the test to put an end to it.

I don't remember exactly how much it was (15??) but it was enough to completely ruin the pinion, so much less is good recommendation.*

*Went back and found the thread. 19 lbs = was ok. 24 lbs = wrecked pinion.
Also stumbled across this thread at the same time, which might be educational: https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/311750-drag-problem-with-abu-6500/

...or just send it to Bryan and get the job done.

Matt300ZXT

Hey Bryan, I don't know if the PMs are going through.  I've sent 2 and neither one show up in my outbox, so you may have to PM me I guess so I can reply to it.

Bryan Young

I got your message Matt.

In general, my C3 Abus can definitely put out more drag but the result is my main gears are often ruined after 8# of drag. I've learned the the hard way multiple of times trying to slow a fish from trying to run into the rocks. Although I love using my C3s for saltwater fishing, I've just changed up to Okuma Komodos and will use my C3s for other types of fishing, such as surf perch fishing.