1977-80 7000 red reels, OK for braid?

Started by Recoil Rob, May 12, 2019, 05:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recoil Rob

I have 2 red 7000 reels, seat #'s 776201 & 800501, I assume 1977 and 1980.

How do these perform with braid? Was thinking of spooling them with Daiwa 55# Dendoh for jigging and live-lining, any problems with that? Looks like the black spools are anodized aluminum.

thanks,

Rob
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

oc1

They do fine with spectra braid and it will not harm the spool.  A 7000 will hold a lot of line.
-steve.

Recoil Rob

Good news, thank you. I'm going to put about 200 yds on and back it up with some 60# dacron to take up space.
   - Errol Flynn

Recoil Rob

BTW, never taken these apart so I assume they have old style drag washers. I've replaced washers on all sorts of Penns like Jigmasters, how hard are these to service? Will any set of CF washers for a 7000 work or are they era-specific?

And do I need to worry abouth the chrome line guide getting cut by the braid? I see ceramic ones are available....
   - Errol Flynn

tholmes

The 7000's are pretty easy to tear down and service. For drag washers (and other parts) I'd recommend calling Jerry Foran at https://www.hookless.com . He has pretty much anything you'll need plus a wealth of knowledge about Ambassadeur reels.

Tom

akfish

Dawn at Smooth Drag carries carbon fiber drag washers for 7000 series Ambassadeurs. I think this is a mandatory upgrade.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska