Mitchell 308 pinion assembly

Started by DON3099, September 04, 2021, 07:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DON3099

Does anyone know the total bearings (or each end) there are in the pinion assembly?  ???

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

basenjib123

I think if you make the mistake of taking that bearing carrier apart, you may have many little bearings on the loose,  I wouldn't recommend it.

handi2

I was totally wrong! It has the 2 bearings that come apart like found in the everol reels,
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gfish

Interesting. I too thought they had bushings.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

308/309, 408/409, & 508 have bearing pinion assemblies.

All 300's have bushings.

Except for the 300C —- it has bearings.

The dark blue high speed 410/411 & 440/441 have bearings.

If you want a count of the bearings in the 308/408 because you lost some, or are trying to put the assembly back together —- I can count them for you —- or send you another assembly.

Oftentimes, after putting these bearing assemblies back together —- they do not run as smooth even with proper cleaning and lubrication (synthetic oil).  I think this is because the bearings get broken in a certain way over time —- and if not the same exact position —- they are a little rough.

I generally do not ever take these apart on purpose —- just lacquer thinner and the ultrasonic cleaner —- dry and lube.

If that isn't smooth enough for me —- I install a new bearing assembly.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Gulf Breeze, FL

basenjib123

Take that bearing carriage apart and a couple of dozen little bearings will come tumbling out! ..ask me how I know

DON3099

I've had to take 2 pinion gears off a 308, there are 34, 17 each top and bottom. I had a heck of a time getting all of them in the 1st time. I found a small flat magnetized screw driver works well!! Made a note to self, open it over a white towel.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: DON3099 on December 11, 2022, 02:04:34 PMI've had to take 2 pinion gears off a 308, there are 34, 17 each top and bottom. I had a heck of a time getting all of them in the 1st time. I found a small flat magnetized screw driver works well!! Made a note to self, open it over a white towel.

Better yet, don't open it at all.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

After my Dad taught me to use a few tools/techniques, I'd disassemble any thing I could as a kid. Wrecked some stuff fer-shur, but they were great learning experiences.

Fred, any opinion on the 300's with roller bearings(300C)?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!