My $4.75 Mitchell 306

Started by festus, May 12, 2019, 10:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Grabbed this Garcia Mitchell 306 off eBay with a group of eight other assorted reels.  This isn't really a tutorial, but since I usually take pictures when working on a reel, doesn't hurt to post them here.

This one was pretty smooth as it was, dirty on the outside, bail worked, but wouldn't close completely sometimes.  A/R and braking system worked ok.

Brake system was in pretty good shape.

Grimy inside the rotor and on the bail trip assembly.

Don't know what kind of blue grease this is, but it hadn't hardened or interfered with the operation of the reel. Blue lithium maybe?

These 306 have a unique plastic fastener from the rotor to the main housing.  Schematic call it the rotating head lock.

A key, bail trip, and bail trip ramp must be removed to take out the pinion gear.

Main gear in good shape, just dirty.

Yeah, the entire bail assembly needs to be removed and cleaned.

These reels aren't too difficult to disassemble and service.  It cleaned up pretty well with Simple Green and a toothbrush.

Figured I'd do the most dreaded chore first, get the bail trip assembly and spring back in.  One of those cheap, crooked-on-the-end awls from Walmart help getting the spring in place.

Bail system back together.

Using the last of the Reel Butter grease.  Got plenty of Penn grease and Superlube left.

If you can work on a smaller 308 or 408, you won't have much trouble with a 306.  Minor differences on the pinion and rotor assembly is about it.

Almost finished.

These are nice reels and can be found cheap on eBay.  Even the new-in-box specimens are affordable.  I'm going to stretch this braided line out that came with the reel, see if there are any weak spots.  If the braid looks alright, I'll top off the spool with 15 lb Berkley Big Game mono. Even at half spool capacity with this old braid it cast pretty decent.

Gfish

Nice job Hoss. The only drawback for me on this one is the lack of a rotorbrake. I've had mine snap shut in the middle of a cast, a couple of times.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

festus

Quote from: Gfish on May 12, 2019, 10:12:46 PM
Nice job Hoss. The only drawback for me on this one is the lack of a rotorbrake. I've had mine snap shut in the middle of a cast, a couple of times.
Mitchell 300 is notorious for the bail snapping back during casting. I've not had as much trouble with the 308 doing that.

A few weeks back I bought another 306 for six bucks shipped.  It was stiff straight from the U.S. Mail, and still stiff after servicing.  This one is much smoother.

mo65

Another great reel for a 5 spot...great buy Chester!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

cmdrzog

Quote from: Gfish on May 12, 2019, 10:12:46 PM

Mitchell offered a manual p/u kit that solved that problem. 

Gfish

Cool. Anyone got a picture, or reference for this?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Here is some information, Greg —

I think I have seen these on eBay occasionally.

Should be easy enough to make one by modifying a bail, and adding a rounded or acorn nut.

Maybe even easier than that? Dremel cut-off wheel and a file?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

festus

I've seen those PUM kits on ebay in the past advertised for like $45.  Can't remember for which model, the 300, 306, or 302.  Best making your own.

bushleague

Quote from: Gfish on May 12, 2019, 10:12:46 PMNice job Hoss. The only drawback for me on this one is the lack of a rotorbrake. I've had mine snap shut in the middle of a cast, a couple of times.

I use a 306 and 308 regularly, and they both are somewhat bad for this. I've found that flipping off the AR when casting mostly solves the problem.

If the crank isnt braced against the AR, it doesnt seem to get enough momentum to spin the spool to the bail trip. The bail either doesnt trip in reverse, or it just doesnt make it to the tripping point... never have bothered to figure out the specifics. With the 300 I just use thicker grease to increase the rotating resistance a bit and its not a problem.