Join me on a 2.5 day trip on the Top Gun 80 San Diego August 11th-14th!

Started by pjstevko, May 13, 2019, 12:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

It's shaping up to be a very busy wildfire season so in the spirit of mental health and work/life balance I asked for a few extra days off in the middle of August and much to my surprise my bosses and wife agreed!

I wanted to try out the Pacific Queen but all their trips in my time frame are booked full so I went with a friend's recommendation and booked a 2.5 day trip on the Top Gun 80!

The dates of this trip are a couple of days before the full moon and mid August is a great time of year for catching a variety of quality fish including yft, yt, mahi, and bft! The boat has multi person staterooms so it'd be great anyone wanted to join me and share a room.

https://www.hmlanding.com/trip-calendar

Last year a 3.5 trip around the same date land 17 cow BFT..... https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/topgun80-historic-17-cow-bfts-3-5-day-report.696790/#post-4658934

I know every year is different but it seems like this year is shaping up to be equally as good or better!

Anyone wanna join me ??? ??? ??? ???

Pj

pjstevko

If anyone is interested in joining me better sign up quick because there's only 15 spots left!

pjstevko

This trip is 2 months away and I'm starting to get gear, rigs, jigs and whatnot together....there's only 10 spots left!

I still need a roommate for my stateroom if anyone is interested in joining me!

alantani

i've been waiting for the kids to get their schedules together and let me know.  it turns out that allison will be leaving for pharmacy school in denver (and i have to drive her stuff out) and christina will be back from vancouver, all over that 3 week block.  i just can't get away.  hopefully someone will be able to join you!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

conchydong

If I only lived a couple thousand miles closer! Have a great trip.

Scott

pjstevko

pjstevko

My trip is 20 days away and I'm stoked!!!!

I still need to buy another 30# rod and make a few more flat fall leaders but other than that I think I'm good to go.....

I'm really hoping the yellowtail fishing stays red hot as that's been #1 on my catch list since I moved out here! The bluefin will be around but if they are hungry and biting will be the question. With this upcoming heat wave maybe the mahi and wahoo will show up  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Should be a great trip!!!!

rogan

PJ,

Good Luck, catch some great fish!  Wishing I was going with you ;D

Snookkatcher

PJ, a long range trip is a bucket list item for me, read about them since I was a kid! I wish I lived closer too! Let us know about your gear list and tackle used, and I hope you will post some great pics! Good luck! 😊👍🎣
'This River don't go to Aintry....'

MarkT

Quote from: Snookkatcher on July 29, 2019, 01:00:48 AM
PJ, a long range trip is a bucket list item for me, read about them since I was a kid! I wish I lived closer too! Let us know about your gear list and tackle used, and I hope you will post some great pics! Good luck! 😊👍🎣
A 2 1/2 day isn't a long rang trip... I'd say long range starts at 6 day and goes up from there.  I've done a 2 and a 2 1/2 day so far this year and have a 3 1/2 day at a Cedros and 2 10 day trips on the Excel still to go.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

pjstevko

MarkT

Man, That looks like a couple of lifetimes worth of Colt Snipers!  I got my 60# BFT last month on a 100 gm Katy Perry colored Sniper with a 2/0 Owner Stinger attached with a 10# split ring. One of the other Gus got 2 on the 80 gm size also in Katy Perry... pink/blue... the name fits!

pjstevko

Quote from: MarkT on July 30, 2019, 02:40:19 AM
Man, That looks like a couple of lifetimes worth of Colt Snipers!  I got my 60# BFT last month on a 100 gm Katy Perry colored Sniper with a 2/0 Owner Stinger attached with a 10# split ring. One of the other Gus got 2 on the 80 gm size also in Katy Perry... pink/blue... the name fits!
My local Turner's fishing manager told me that they weren't selling enough Coltsnipers and that they shipped all them to other stores...... But he found a box that hadn't shipped yet so I bought all they had! I know they are hot sellers at all the tackle shops along the coast but they never have the right size or color in stock.....

I plan on upgrading a couple with in-line singles attached to #8 or #10 hyperwire split rings....

Fishy247

You ain't screwing around are ya PJ? I love it! The trip I went on in early June, they only wanted Katy Perry. Wouldn't touch anything else. I got a 55# and an 85# on a stock 100g. The fishing should only get better for ya as the summer goes on.

Yer gonna have a blast!

MarkT

Quote from: pjstevko on July 30, 2019, 04:06:14 AM
Quote from: MarkT on July 30, 2019, 02:40:19 AM
My local Turner's fishing manager told me that they weren't selling enough Coltsnipers and that they shipped all them to other stores...... But he found a box that hadn't shipped yet so I bought all they had! I know they are hot sellers at all the tackle shops along the coast but they never have the right size or color in stock.....

I plan on upgrading a couple with in-line singles attached to #8 or #10 hyperwire split rings....

Trust me, they work with trebles.  Just put bigger/stronger ones on there for BFT.