Suggestions for new reel

Started by wascallywabit, August 21, 2019, 12:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wascallywabit

Recently picked up a Penn 30S international II from Randy. New condition, beautiful. Intended use will be primarily party boat boat tuna fishing with bait here on the east coast. Maybe some trolling thrown in here and there.

Looking for some input on rod selection and line options. This reel should hold 400 yards of 50 lb. Momoi, but was thinking about using braid first, and mono on top. Question, how much braid, what pound test, so that I can run 50-100 yards of 50 lb. on top? East coast head boats require at least 150' of mono on top. Intend to fish 15-17 lbs. of drag at strike.

Second, leaning towards a Calstar H top From Kevin Bogan in Pt. Pleasant. One of the most well known builders here on the east coast. Already have 10 of his builds. I know he will have an opinion but I thought I would throw it out for the gang here. I am respectful of your opinions.

Ed

foakes

Hey, Ed —

Kevin Bogan has a great reputation — and it is hard to beat a Calstar.

I would make it 11.

Why leave an old trusted friend for a new one?

Just my opinion.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

SoCalAngler

I'd stay with the same builder if you like his work. I'm a Calstar guy and have many. There different blanks that may work for what your doing. Are you looking to go with a all glass rod or a composite? If you can pull on some blanks before you choose and get the one that feels best to you.

wascallywabit

I have two 6' Calstar glass H tops with detachable butts. Also two GF700H and two GF 700M rods. Was thinking about going with another H top, but thought I would reach out to people with more experience with some of the other possible options in the Calstar line. I don't want anything more than 6 1/2', and I'll be fishing 50lb. mono with 15-17lb. at strike. I'd love to hear some suggestions.

Thanks, Ed

wascallywabit

Quote from: foakes on August 21, 2019, 12:53:35 AM
Hey, Ed —

Kevin Bogan has a great reputation — and it is hard to beat a Calstar.

I would make it 11.

Why leave an old trusted friend for a new one?

Just my opinion.

Best,

Fred

Thanks Fred,

I will definitely stay with Kevin, but I'm just not sure what blank to choose. I know that there are some different options out there but I'm just not familiar with them. It seems some of the west coast guys tend to have a bit more experience here so I'm just looking for some opinions.

Ed

SoCalAngler

Ed,

Most fishermen here on the left coast don't use rods with detachable butts, so when you say a H top it really means little here. We are more a stand up style of fishing with a bit of trolling used to find the biting fish. We use trolling to locate fish and after they are located it is mostly live bait fishery after that. So many times longer rods are used to cast live bait out after troll fish are hooked.

I'm fully stoked a east coast guy knows Calstar and may recommend them for certain applications. IMO Baston and Rainshadow are alright but don't compare.

IMO you need to pull on some blanks, like I said to get the rod that feels right to you.

In all glass in the 6' range I'd look at a T6460H blank, maybe that's where he gets H? If cutting may happen then a T6465H which is 5" longer but won't add a hole lot if they take it off a bit where the cutting happens.

Look st some Grafighters and don't cut these please, well don't cut the others also if you don't have to. Maybe a GF760L will work. I think the GF760M may be too stiff for what you want. I'm trying to give you 6' options.

Like I said replaceable butts really are not used here. Two fishery's with different applications. But, for me I'd never cut a blank.

bill19803

RE  line  selection  for  new  reel    If  you are planning   party  boat  tuna  trip  check  boat  rules.  Some  boats  have a  total ban on braid   others require  a  100  yard  mono  top  shot  other  dont  care. You  also   should  consider  that  you  are  gonna  get in  significant   tangles  regardless  how  careful   you   are  because  of   some idiots    that  dont have a  clue.  You  will be  fishing  deep most  of  the  time  usually    125 on  down   is  usual   place  where  fish  bite.  18  ozs  of  weight  is  common in  Hudson   and  at  times    40  oz  are  required depending on  tide     and  wind.
Roll   all  of  that  together   and  you  wind  up   with  heavy braid  with a  long  (for  west   coast)   mono topshot.    80   with     50 mono  will  work  I use   130   with    80   with different   flouro  past the   swivel. sometime    50   sometimes    80  flouro   on  my  tuna   rigs. On  sword   rigs  its    130   braid  with   200  mono(100 yds)    topper   with  130   leader---  all  for  abrasion  resistance cause  the  gladiators  love  to   come  to  top and  run under boat.
Id  be   glad  to  share  more in personal message  if  youd like.

$$bill

wascallywabit

Quote from: SoCalAngler on August 22, 2019, 04:48:55 AM
Ed,

Most fishermen here on the left coast don't use rods with detachable butts, so when you say a H top it really means little here. We are more a stand up style of fishing with a bit of trolling used to find the biting fish. We use trolling to locate fish and after they are located it is mostly live bait fishery after that. So many times longer rods are used to cast live bait out after troll fish are hooked.

I'm fully stoked a east coast guy knows Calstar and may recommend them for certain applications. IMO Baston and Rainshadow are alright but don't compare.

IMO you need to pull on some blanks, like I said to get the rod that feels right to you.

In all glass in the 6' range I'd look at a T6460H blank, maybe that's where he gets H? If cutting may happen then a T6465H which is 5" longer but won't add a hole lot if they take it off a bit where the cutting happens.

Look st some Grafighters and don't cut these please, well don't cut the others also if you don't have to. Maybe a GF760L will work. I think the GF760M may be too stiff for what you want. I'm trying to give you 6' options.

Like I said replaceable butts really are not used here. Two fishery's with different applications. But, for me I'd never cut a blank.

Thanks for the reply. You are correct about the H top. That is just Kevin's shorthand description for a heavy glass Calstar blank. Detachable butts are used are used here primarily for trolling as they are constantly in and out of the rod holders.

A Grafighter is probably more of what I am looking for. I already have two 700H and two 700M rods from Kevin. I am looking for something in the 6'- 6 1/2' range so the recommendation for something in the 760-765 range would be appropriate.

Thanks again for the input.

wascallywabit

Quote from: bill19803 on August 22, 2019, 06:42:22 AM
RE  line  selection  for  new  reel    If  you are planning   party  boat  tuna  trip  check  boat  rules.  Some  boats  have a  total ban on braid   others require  a  100  yard  mono  top  shot  other  dont  care. You  also   should  consider  that  you  are  gonna  get in  significant   tangles  regardless  how  careful   you   are  because  of   some idiots    that  dont have a  clue.  You  will be  fishing  deep most  of  the  time  usually    125 on  down   is  usual   place  where  fish  bite.  18  ozs  of  weight  is  common in  Hudson   and  at  times    40  oz  are  required depending on  tide     and  wind.
Roll   all  of  that  together   and  you  wind  up   with  heavy braid  with a  long  (for  west   coast)   mono topshot.    80   with     50 mono  will  work  I use   130   with    80   with different   flouro  past the   swivel. sometime    50   sometimes    80  flouro   on  my  tuna   rigs. On  sword   rigs  its    130   braid  with   200  mono(100 yds)    topper   with  130   leader---  all  for  abrasion  resistance cause  the  gladiators  love  to   come  to  top and  run under boat.
Id  be   glad  to  share  more in personal message  if  youd like.

$$bill

I'm familiar with party boat protocol here in the east as I have been on a few overnight tuna trips. In fact we used to run our own boat out to the Hudson and Lindenkohl canyon for overnight trips. But that was 20 years ago. Back then all of our trolling rigs were 100% mono. Now with the proliferation of braid I am a bit confused as whether to stay with all mono or change up to braid with mono top shots. (trying to teach an old dog new tricks). Just trying to figure the right combination for this (new to me) 30S. I may take you up on the offer.

Thanks

Ed

Benni3

On my 20t takes 600yr of 80lb braid no room for top shot,,,,,, :D on a 30s should have plenty for top shot,,,,,,, ;D

SoCalAngler

Quote from: wascallywabit on August 26, 2019, 03:05:32 PM
Quote from: SoCalAngler on August 22, 2019, 04:48:55 AM
Ed,

Thanks for the reply. You are correct about the H top. That is just Kevin's shorthand description for a heavy glass Calstar blank. Detachable butts are used are used here primarily for trolling as they are constantly in and out of the rod holders.

A Grafighter is probably more of what I am looking for. I already have two 700H and two 700M rods from Kevin. I am looking for something in the 6'- 6 1/2' range so the recommendation for something in the 760-765 range would be appropriate.

Thanks again for the input.

It looks like you have 30 lb covered, 700M and 40, 700H.

I think you may have answered your own question above.
A 760L would do 50 or a 765L/ML. You may want to pull on the last two if 6.5 is the way you want to go. But for me a 765ML being a bit stiffer in the tip makes for a better trolling rod.